1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT topic Alarms help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uppereastside, May 23, 2011.

1. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

I am going to be doing this unit next term. I've done most of the planning but am now thinking about the end when they make their alarm. I have some of the switches they could make and use (mostly push ones) but can't really figure out how this would work if it were a 'burlgar alarm' as someone would just pick the object up they were trying to get?
    Has anyone every done this/have any pics/or general ideas about how the finished alarm should be?
    Thanks for any help!

2. uppereastside

I am going to be doing this unit next term. I've done most of the planning but am now thinking about the end when they make their alarm. I have some of the switches they could make and use (mostly push ones) but can't really figure out how this would work if it were a 'burlgar alarm' as someone would just pick the object up they were trying to get?
    Has anyone every done this/have any pics/or general ideas about how the finished alarm should be?
    Thanks for any help!

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

if you use 'push to break' switches it can be placed under an object, causing the circuit to be open and when the object is removed or a door opened, the circuit is closed..
    Burglar alarms can be triggered by a pressure pad (push to make), a light being turned on or sound made (circuit linked to computer running a simple control program).

4. uppereastside

Thanks for that very useful. I know how to make push to make switches (using card, foil etc). but do you know a simple push to break switch?

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

they are pretty cheap to buy - start with TTS

6. A very, very long time ago, we designed alarms that were basically a switch under a doormat so we assumed the burglar would come in through the front door! We have very obliging burglars round our way!!!