1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT tools - what to get?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by comenius, Oct 27, 2010.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi
    I was just wondering what tools you have for DT activities and the best place to get them from?
    Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use adult tools bought at local DIY stores because they are better made than those made for children so there is less risk of children hurting themselves
    .We have hammers, screwdrivers, brace and bit type drills, saws a toolbench with attached vice and toolboxes to take outdoors.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks Msz - do you let the children use these on their own or do you always have an adult with them?

4. Msz

We let the children use them on their own once they have been taught how to use them safely and have been given a thorough warning on the dire consequences of "messing around". I don't want to tempt fate but we have never had an accident beyond someone hitting their own finger instead of a nail

5. In a nursery we know they have cover jackets if you are the saw user etc, also wondered whether those toolboards where you paint the shadows behind them were helpful to know everythings back

6. Msz

When wefirst set up a proper DT area we bought a toolboard from an educational supplier but were adviced the tools were not as good as those sold by DIY stores

7. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wondered if anyone's had a woodwork area in Reception and if so, how has this gone?
    Thanks.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

25-30 years ago in London Nursery schools woodwork benches with real tools were standard issue. I don't remember any serious accidents. Somewhere along the line Health and safety put a stop to all that and I haven't seen one for donkey's years.
    Thinking about the class I have now I would be terrified to see saws and hammers in their hands.