1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT NCFE Level 1

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by loonney_ballooney, Jan 9, 2020.

1. loonney_ballooney

loonney_ballooney New commenter

Hi All
    I am starting a new course for ks3 students around electronics. Can anyone help with resources for complete beginner and any small projects. I have no budget and will be looking for cheap projects I can raise funds for. Thanks in advance.

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you are going to get the students to make anything then you will need to get kitted out with some basic tools - soldering irons, solder, soldering iron stands, wire cutters, wire strippers, pliers, safety specs etc.

I found Rapid Electronics supplied some good kits in class sets and was considerably cheaper than buying the components separately.

https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?Query=class kit&Tier=Electronics

The audio kit always worked well but you would need to make or use an enclosure to put it in which adds to overall costs.

If you're going to get electronics off the ground for classes of say, 30, you're going to need at least a couple of hundred quid for tools and then there will be the cost of components and kits etc. Electronics is an expensive topic to run and if students are going to solder stuff up then you're not going to be able to salvage components. I found that students loved doing electronics but some needed a lot of support when the circuits didn't work - dry joints, components overheated, components in the wrong way or in the wrong place, legs bent under chips and so on.

I hope you get your course up and running. Electronics is a cutting edge subject and Britain desperately needs more electronic engineers. Trying to run a course with no funding is a big ask though.