1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT in KS2 : programming and controlling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lardylady, Nov 9, 2015.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Just wondering what you do in your school to address the technical knowledge requirements in DT for KS2. The statement
    'apply their understanding of computing to program, monitor and control their products'

is giving us nightmares. I have recently been put in charge of DT and haven't a clue where to begin. The Y6 teacher is even less clued up than me, and we don't know where to start addressing the idea of using a computer program to control something that the children have made.

Apologies for this post, but I admit I am utterly clueless when it comes to DT.

Any ideas??

Edited to add that we have looked at Lego, but the prices are astronomical.

2. Tony_Soprano

Tony_Soprano New commenter

I'm relatively new to the DT coordinator role myself but I've found the Design and Technology Association's 'projects on a page's to be very useful so far. Pretty sure that it will have something in there to help you. Order it in electronic format through your school of you need it quickly.

lardylady likes this.
  3. sirenne

sirenne New commenter

If you have the budget, invest in Lego WeDo. You can use the kits to construct models which are controlled via a computer (Computing objectives) and then use these to develop another product (DT objectives). There's lots of info on the Internet including Lego Education and
    https://wedo.dreschallenges.com/

lardylady likes this.