1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT - Health and Safety of equipment and room

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by shavenhobo, Aug 20, 2018.

1. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

Hi all,

I'm after some advice if you would be so kind but i'll set the scene a little first. I have been teaching Art & Design for the last 10 years in a large state school and recently became a HoD for Art and Design within a Prep school which is a very new challenge in a different setting. Whilst i'm very keen and raring to go at the time of interview I did not foresee the DT "issues" that I have now considered and now it has just dawned on me that i'm now HoD and will be responsible for this room (gulp). In the DT room we have 3 large purpose built saws two large drills a sanding disc and a vacuum forming machine I was amazed students so young used such equipment.

Questions:

Does anyone know where I might find some health and safety guidelines on this kind of equipment or indeed the age groups entitled to use this equipment?

Does anyone have any idea on the age range suitable to start using craft knives? I've never used them with anyone under year 9 age.

Thanking you all in advance.

2. enilorac48

enilorac48 New commenter

In terms of health & safety your best place is going to the design technology association website. They offer advice and courses. I use craft knifes with year 7 but they must use the cutting mats and safety rulers and I get mine to sign to say they have been trained . This involves demos from me then they use. I also count in and count out the knifes and lock after use. The Year 7 use a more chunky stanley knife then move the craft knifes. Hope this helps

shavenhobo and therosspatrick like this.
  3. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Get yourself a copy of the British Standard below, which will give you an indication of what you should comply with. If you can get access to CLEAPPs (do your science dept have access?) they give standard risk assessments for each item within a st room that you can base your own risk assessments on.

The D and T association have trainers available who can certify you as a (competent) teacher to use the equipment with the students in your care

BS 4163:2014 Health and safety for design and technology in educational and similar establishments. Code of practice

shavenhobo and therosspatrick like this.
  4. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

Thank you, your insight is very helpful.

5. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

Excellent, they do have cleaps and I will be sure to look up the code of practice.

Thank you