1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT: Children's evaluations of work???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ezr, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ezr

ezr

I am a DT co-ordinator at a primary school where we have identified that the children are not very good at evaluting their work in DT. I have been given the task of providing children, possibly years groups, or key stages with a tool to support them in their work. I was thinking that perhaps a list of questions they could ask themselves and some key vocab might be a help...but don't really know where to start being very new to the role...
    Does anyone have any ideas of questions/vocab, examples of this type of thing???
    Many thanks

2. ezr

ezr

I am a DT co-ordinator at a primary school where we have identified that the children are not very good at evaluting their work in DT. I have been given the task of providing children, possibly years groups, or key stages with a tool to support them in their work. I was thinking that perhaps a list of questions they could ask themselves and some key vocab might be a help...but don't really know where to start being very new to the role...
    Does anyone have any ideas of questions/vocab, examples of this type of thing???
    Many thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do teachers not have SC for the lesson and thus the piece of work? This is then the checklist by which children evaluate their work. Different for different pieces of work and definitely geared to the age and maturity of the child.

4. ezr

ezr

Sorry what's SC?

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

It means Success Criteria.

Have you seen the ready resources by scholastic for D.T.? They are pretty good they all start with a planning sheet and have good evaluations and there is a CD with presentations for teachers to use. At least worth a look so you can see what a good framework would look like.

6. ezr

ezr

Thanks upadaisy, I will have a look at those books. Yes of course thats what it means, it's been a long week already!!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Indeed it does. In some schools it could be a WILF. Basically tells children how they will know it is a good piece of work.

8. ezr

ezr

Thanks minnieminx, teachers should be using WILF but it doesn't seems to help the children enough. I think that a big part of the problem is poor vocab and especially when it comes to evaluations, this has been identified in other areas of the curriculum too...