1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DSL dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teacherish, Jul 8, 2020.

1. teacherish

teacherish New commenter

Hi all, I just want to get some opinions. I am a head of year at a school. Each head of year has an allocation of 9 - next year I am the only head of year who is on that allocation. The others are on 5 and 5, 0 for a teacher whose subject we don’t offer and 0 for a member of support staff. I am also the DSL and designated teacher for CIC for the the school...that is not on my job description Nor am I paid for it but that is justified by them saying we all hold a whole school responsibility...(attendance, isolation). Every year I have been there I have taught the full allocation and rarely others do. I don’t have any allocated time to be the DSL. my year group also have 30 extra students than any other taking us to 210

What I want opinions on are the following;
    Should the DSL role be a formal appointment for which I’m paid for?

should I be not happy I teach more than most and expected to provide same support with more students?

Or any other thoughts.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I've never heard of a DSL being paid extra to do the role.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  3. teacherish

teacherish New commenter

It’s quite a hefty role on top of my normal job role ...is it not

4. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Have a chat with your line manager, if they're sympathetic, want to keep you and think you're doing extra work they'll give you some cash.

Tread carefully - I've seen things like this escalate into people leaving, etc. once things have been said that can't be unsaid.

teacherish likes this.
  5. teacherish

teacherish New commenter

Am I being unreasonable do you think...

6. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I don't know - I'm not in the school as an outside observer. Chat to your line manager, keep your hopes down and don't back yourself into a corner.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I don't understand what you mean by allocations. Is this non contact time?
    Usually DSL is part of a bigger role, and most schools, even my tiny one , have more than one to allow for absence and busyness.
    I would work out how much time you have spent doing DSL work, and how easy or difficult this has been to fit alongside the rest of your role.
    The trouble with safeguarding is that unlike other school things, you can't predict when things will come up.
    I have no idea whether you're being unreasonable as I have no idea how much time you spend on safeguarding or how big your head of year allowance is.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You're kidding right?

9. teacherish

teacherish New commenter

Not sure what youre getting at

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don’t really get these numbers? You are not only teaching nine lessons surely?

11. teacherish

teacherish New commenter

Yes...we have no admin support as hoys or ass head of year we are a one man show...

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Well.... I think you’re all doing very well out of it... and I wouldn’t rock the boat too much.

That teacher on 0 is surely prime for redundancy.

I have never, never known a mainstream school give that level of non contact time for a teaching head of year.... I’m flabbergasted

Pomza likes this.
  13. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

our HoY have no support and get way fewer than 9 NON-contacts....

Pomza and DYNAMO67 like this.
  14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Likewise.

Pomza likes this.
  15. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

If you only teach 9 lessons, that (assuming a 25 lesson week) would be 16 non-contacts. If that is true, I think you should be giving thanks, not complaining!

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Teaching only 9 periods a week and wanting extra money just for being a dsl? Am I misunderstanding something here...?

friedgreentomatoes and DYNAMO67 like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@teacherish this bit of what you posted is still causing confusion here.

What is it an "allocation" of? Is 9 the number of teaching periods you have in a week or your number of non-contact periods? How many teaching periods a week does the school have - 25?

steely1 likes this.
  18. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

YABU as they say. When I was a head of year of 200ish students I still taught a full timetable (with no admin support, is that really a thing?), only 9 lessons a week seems unbelievable! As a boarding housemaster with 24 hours a day responsibility for 60 children I taught more than that! As for pay for DSL I have never heard of that as a thing, if it’s too much work I say drop it and live the 9 lessons a week dream!

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  19. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I have to say that I'm a little bit surprised by some of the responses here - not so much about whether OP's overall allocation is reasonable, but in terms of the time/status needed to be DSL. KCSIE is pretty clear on this point:
    I wouldn't say that OP's school, in handing DSL responsibility to a Head of Year, with no additional time, is meeting the requirements of KCSIE here. If I was OP I'd be pointing at this passage pretty firmly!

20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It depends how many other DSLs there are in the school and on the scale of the school’s CP profile. Some larger schools have several DSLs, and a senior leader who is the overall safeguarding lead, but with some of the workload distributed to others.

I cannot even remember the last time I visited a school that has only one DSL, even small primaries tend to have at least two.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020