1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drying Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 14, 2011.

1. I often dry tomatoes.
    I just bung them in the oven on very low heat, stick a wooden spoon in the door so it doesn't shut, and voila - the toms are luvvvvvvvvverly.
    Dry mushrooms too.
    And apples.
    And chillies.
    And herbs.
    And cherries.
    And cranberries.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I heard somewhere, some time ago, that a lot of the so-called "sundried" tomatoes that are sold are in fact oven dried.
    It seems you get a magnification in the flavour when you dry things. I haven't tried dried apples. What do they taste like and how would you use them?

3. They taste great, I just chew on them, like fruit leather (also easy to make and tastes great.
    Or apples go into stews and other long cooked dishes, or they get rehydrated - usually includes alcohol - and add to puds, cooked or not!

And yes, those tomatoes are usually dried in a machine not in sunlight!
    I am considering buying a dehydrator - only considering mind!

4. They taste great! Quite chewy but not totally lacking in moisture and cardboard like.
    I use them in muesli, or the kids just chew on them for a snack.
    Or I use them when baking (eg. muesli bars, muffins).
    Or like Pobs, I rehydrate them if I need to (also usually involving alchohol!) and use them for some kind of pudding dish.