1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drumming up new business

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sabram86, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Morning all!

I took up tutoring full-time after realising classroom teaching was not really for me. I am glad to say it has gone very well, but I do feel like getting work nearer me. I use one of the major tutoring websites (First among Tutors, dontchaknow) to drum up business, but I would like to drum up some more local business (I spend too much time and money on trains, which are slow and unreliable).

I have ordered some leaflets and I will duly shove them through the letterboxes, hopefully with some success.

How do you find new business?

2. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Almost all my business has come from a 3cm x 3cm advert that i occasionally place in the classified section of the local free magazine.

sabram86 likes this.
  3. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

I'm on First Tutors, which has got me quite a few jobs. I've just joined Tutor Hunt - both are free. I also have a Facebook page and have a poster on a notice board at my husband's work. Sometimes it's been word of mouth too.

sabram86 likes this.
  4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I seem to get interest via my Facebook business page. Be careful that you are above board and registered with HMRC etc before advertising on Facebook as I have known people who've been caught out!

Most of my business has been through recommendations, so make sure that all of your teacher colleagues/friends know what you are doing and are able to pass on your details. Get a business card made and keep it handy. Ask a few friends to post your info on the noticeboard in their staff room at work (schools and other workplaces too).

Good luck.

sch1510 and sabram86 like this.
  5. TES_English

TES_English New commenter

I found that a mix of facebook, flyers in local cafes, asking EVERY parent I knew to pass on my details and also paid nearly £200 to advertise in a local magazine for 6 months, Been fully booked for the past 6 months. I think the advertising works initially and then I found it was word of mouth that was most fruitful. I spent ages on a website and it is a great source of reference but didn't generate students on its own. As above, do register with HMRC (I found doing it over the phone far easier than online and they were really helpful). Good luck!

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

facebook and tutor hunt / first tutors and uk tutors
    also referrals

7. -Sarah-

-Sarah- New commenter

Good tips above.

You could also offer free trial class.

8. sch1510

sch1510 New commenter

I initially gained all of my students by posting adverts on local community Facebook groups. Then a steady stream of students have followed from their recommendations

9. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I actually receive work through schools, for pupils with health issues - might be worth exploring as schools wind down for the summer? You might have more chance of a response :)

10. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

I am registered with a couple of tuition sites which have brought me some work. I am thinking of advertising further by setting up a FB page. Anyone have any advice on how best to do this? I am familiar with FB ofcourse but not really from a business perspective.

11. langteacher

I get a fair bit from Facebook. It was easy to set up a page. I think it's on the menu at the side of your own page. If not then open someone else's business page and somewhere on there it says something like make your own page or something.
    Don't just put prices on, it bores people and they'll just scroll past. Post articles and photos, maybe samples of work or tips of how to do things. Quiz questions, that kind of thing. Get your friends to share it. Share it on local selling pages
    Best of luck

12. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

Thanks for the advice! Do you have an image of yourself as your profile pic? Or do you use a more generic image?

13. langteacher

I have the EU flag

14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I agree - the hurdle is the first few students but then word of mouth means the requests come thick and fast - often more than you can handle.

15. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Just wondering - is it most common to tutor in the core subjects? My subject is non-core (Music). I am looking to teach private instrumental lessons but could also tutor KS3-5 if there was the demand.