1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drugs Policy

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Medusa10, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Medusa10

Medusa10 New commenter

I'm writing the school drugs policy and am unsure about the investigation side. Does the teacher take statements from witnesses'? I am confused as during DSP training we were told to not take statements as this would cause a problem for the police, if there was a subsequent investigation. Ideas as to your procedures would be really helpful.

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

To turn it on its head slightly, what needs to be clear in the policy first of all are the circumstances in which (a) a staff member should be alerting SLT and (b) the circumstances in which SLT involve the police or other external agencies.
    Clearly the school needs to establish that there are grounds to believe that a drugs-related incident has taken place before making such a referral, otherwise you will be bringing them in every time one student name-calls another as a druggie, or whenever a Y7 spots an older student smoking a roll-up. As this is part of your job, you would document these steps and conversations. This would be important to justify your decision to involve the police and any possible exclusion which follows.
    However, once you have reached the threshold where there is sufficient evidence to make the referral, there is no reason to continue investigating, since that is the role of the police.
    The training I did (some years ago) suggested that the drugs-related incidents policy should be closely aligned with child protection. If your CP policy has a section on the types of questions which should or should not be asked when an allegation has been made, then it may be useful to adapt and append these.
    I would also say that this is not vastly different from the way in which you might approach any other criminal behaviour in school. If a serious fight or assault took place, then the school's initial investigation may later become a police matter if the parents of the victim choose to make a complaint. That doesn't over-ride the need for an initial investigation, but once the police are involved it is effectively their case.