1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drugs and tobacco resources

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by misshammonds, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I am due to plan and teach a couple of lessons to do with drugs and tobacco and the effects they have on the body (it is from a science angle, rather than PSHE).
    Does anyone know of any good (free!) online resources? Most things I have looked at are pretty out of date or very expensive.
    Thank you for any ideas or help you can offer me!

2. I am due to plan and teach a couple of lessons to do with drugs and tobacco and the effects they have on the body (it is from a science angle, rather than PSHE).
    Does anyone know of any good (free!) online resources? Most things I have looked at are pretty out of date or very expensive.
    Thank you for any ideas or help you can offer me!

3. The website won't let me edit it for some reason! The lessons are for year 3 and 4 classes.

4. VDL

VDL

The challenge is not to give nightmares and panic to those whose parents smoke/do drugs as they think they are going to die and that leads to all sorts of emotional problems if this is primary school science (Year 3 and 4) You need to be clearer in your learning outcomes as to what is age appropriate for your school. How much do they know already about the internal organs of the body? as for drugs - that's a pretty wide range so refine. It depends on where you live as to what knowledge the students have of drugs - it's normally a little older. If you aren't clear on your boundaries questions etc. may take you to areas you don't want to go. It is easy to find material on you tube that will just give them nightmares (be careful as smoking is also a fetish so search under effects of smoking). How many are likely to have seen someone smoke? you may need to use a clip as an introduction so you are all working from the same baseline. You will get a long way on a simple drawing of a body and internal organs.
    If this is a secondary school science you are building on quite a knowledge base of the body and they will have done smoking before so you will need a baseline starter to see where they are - again a list of parts of the body and they pick, or an outline shape and they mark them on? You also need to be clear about where you want to be at the end - the most obvious being how far you want to go into discussing drugs. In the science context we break drugs down into stimulants, depressants, opiates and hallucinogenics and look at the impact each group has on the body so we don't get too caught up into each individual drug - PSHE does that.
    Free materials of any quality are hard to come by - surely you have the science text books to take diagrams from etc. if really desperate use google images and search words like smoking cigarettes effcts. Talk to your PSHE co-ordinator they may have materials that you could use that they don't as they are too scientific. We have used porridge and red rubber tubing to simulate clogging of arteries and made of jars of tar using black treacle. The chemicals involved in smoke and what else they are used for also helps under line the dangers http://www.stop-smoking-programs.org/chemicals-in-cigarettes.html