1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drug charge over summer, suspended, prospects?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jiimmii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This.

2. mrs-badger

mrs-badger Occasional commenter

I don't think it's a windup.

I can quite see how, if stopped by the police, someone would be honest and open rather than waste everybody's time.

I hate drugs, but I don't personally see this as ^that^ bad, or something that would necessarily bar somebody from gaining employment elsewhere. After all, the OP has been honest.

A girl I did my PGCE with had a caution for possessing cannabis, and I know a couple of people with cautions for minor-ish crimes (not me, I hasten to add, I am too boring.)

The national college have just let somebody go without so much of a wrist slap for battery so in comparison a small amount of ecstasy tablets for personal use at a festival don't seem so awful to me.

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
    You decided recreational drug use was worth the risk. You got caught. Now there are consequences.

If you're lucky (and I mean bloody lucky) then your honesty might go in your favour. Though a school must be desperate to get staff to take such a big risk on you.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its not, supply teachers are subject to exactly the same standards as other teachers (since there is no difference between them).

An agency might sign you up for unqualfied teacher work, but in reality thats unlikely.

I'm afraid that you need to consider a new career.

Shedman likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Please don't anyone tell me that drugs are harmless and a bit of a laugh.

I've seen two careers thrown away because of drugs - I have NO sympathy for any teacher who thinks it's OK to take them.

Shedman, pepper5, wanet and 3 others like this.
  6. Jiimmii

Jiimmii New commenter

Hello everyone, OP here with an update. I'm going to make a new topic for quicker reference for others in my situation.

To recap: I was suspended with pay. In the meantime I have attended a few meetings with my school to progress the investigation. The process is so slow that it still hasn't progressed from investigation to disciplinary yet - although that is probably inevitable.

In the meantime I have been visiting and applying to new schools. During my visits I do not mention the caution but I have ticked all the necessary boxes on application forms and mentioned it during interviews when asked.

Today I was offered a new job as a class teacher! The school knew all about the charge going in, having followed up on my application form specifically to ask for more details about why I had ticked yes to 'do you have any cautions/convictions?'. It wan't mentioned during the interview so when they called to offer the job I brought it up myself (to make sure they hadn't forgotten about it and were in for a nasty surprise when they remembered), they told me they all knew about it and it was fine.

My advice to anyone in my position -wanting to apply to teaching jobs with a caution for possession of class A drugs- is to always visit the school you are considering applying to. This is good practice in general, but all the more crucial when you're in this position. You get to make an impression, maybe even impress, and will make your application all the more appealing having it connected to a real human being. Obviously always be honest. This profession is built on that above all else.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion. Especially those who came with their own perspectives on my employability. To those who came to lay their judgement on how bad they think drugs are, you kind of cluttered up the conversation without adding anything useful, but thanks anyway! I'm glad teachers come from different walks of life, it enriches the children all the more.

les25paul, Lara mfl 05 and PeterQuint like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

jiimmii

I am pleased to hear that you have had a successful outcome to your situation. Everyone deserves a second chance and if you have learnt something from this, then you can move forward.

I am not judging you, but please stay away from drugs as they are not a good choice.

All the best for your new job.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Good job they scrapped the GTCE. They would have roasted you.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Glad to hear that it has worked out OK for you, @Jiimmii.

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It sounds like you have been lucky. Please don't assume that means you'll be as lucky in the future. You've shown that some schools will overlook a single offence, but others won't, and I suspect very few would overlook two. It is good that teachers come from different walks of life, but I don't think that their lives are enriched by being taught by people who think they can ignore the law.

11. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

@Jiimii

I know one person who served time in prison in European prison for drug smuggling who was given a second chance and is a teacher.

He was honest about his sentence and has never indulged since.

It's great that you have a job- but will this brush with the Law affect your personal behaviour?

Good Luck with it all.

ldnsenco and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I know a teacher who was retained by their school after accepting a caution for common assault. They are still teaching, but are unable to move on from that school

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Had to laugh at your response. Exactly what I was thinking.

"But to be fair, I really, really, really wanted to take the drugs"

ldnsenco likes this.
  14. anon8956

anon8956 New commenter

Really happy for you in that some of the judgemental opinion on here did not turn out to be true. I have mentioned this elsewhere but I am surprised by the confidence of posters who write stuff like 'yep your career is over'. They write with seeming authority.Yes forums only contain opinions but some opinions are not helpful.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Guessing it's lucky for the OP that there is a teacher shortage.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What do your union think your school will do about referring you to NCTL? Good that another school is happy to emply you but surely you aren't out of the woods until you know whether there will be an NCTL referral?

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Well done Jimmii, I thought that you had completely "blown it" there and am glad to be proved wrong. But bear in mind if you were a cat that would be 8 of your lives gone in one go.

Something I would agree with.

18. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am happy for you. We have all made mistakes.

I don't like your argument about it being a good thing teachers coming from different walks of life. Drug use isn't a 'different walk of life' mate. It is simply illegality, whatever I or anyone thinks.

I still wonder how much is true. Fair play though, have a good weekend @Jiimmii

T0nyGT, install and needabreak like this.