1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drug charge over summer, suspended, prospects?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jiimmii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

My point is: drink driving puts others at risk certainly
    Drugs often don't- particularly if used recreationally which is what I interpreted from the op. I

2. opalfeet

Ecstasy (MDMA) is not physically addictive like substances such as nicotine, alcohol and heroin, it is psychologically addictive- but so it TV, food and computer games.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Driving under the influence of either drugs or alcohol puts everyone at risk.

Someone is being abused during the drug production/smuggling/delivery process.

Recreational use/abuse of either legal or illegal substances comes at a cost to society.

4. slingshotsally

MDMA can kill, as can nicotine, alcohol, heroine, ketamine...

They don't kill everyone who takes them...

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

This is why I stick to alcohol only. Just saying.

That's all.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. slingshotsally

It's legal.

It can be used for medical purposes to "clean" with eg isopropyl alcohol or Everclear 95% ABV (190 proof)

It can be used for fuel.

7. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

For what it's worth, if drugs were reclassified today, then ecstasy would rank 18th out of 20, with alcohol coming in at at respectable 5th. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5230006.stm

Have to say though, I think it's a bit of a wind up...who in their right mind would own up to having drugs when casually asked by the police?!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that these weren't random cases, rather specific examples and as the evidence at the governors' sub-committee showed, there was a very good chance that the student concerned had not realised until in school that they had drugs on them (subsequently panicked and told a friend and then, stupidly as it turned out, was honest when asked a question by a teacher).

Thank you for your advice about contacting my MP. As I believe I made clear earlier I've no particular problem with the law on drugs. My point is that just because alcohol is legal, just because alcohol is socially acceptable and just because so many teachers drink alcohol, it shouldn't blind us to the damage that it can do. I'm not mounting some holier than thou horse here. If we're honest how many of us can look at the government guidelines on weekly alcohol consumption and pat ourselves on the back? It's not a radical or particularly controversial point to make that in practical rather than legal terms alcohol is a bigger problem for students, teachers and schools in general than drugs.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The list of offences considered relevant to barring a teacher inlcudes "serious driving offences, including those related to drugs or alcohol" and "serious offences involving alcohol", so drink driving could be inclouded. The key word is offences, so somebody who drinks more than the government guidelines and does not break the law, be under the influence when responsible for children or behave in a way that reflects badly on the school will not be disciplined.

The issue of where E should come in a list of drugs is another matter; it has been suggested that legalising more drugs would be a good thing. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the law as it stands, not as we think it should be.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

None of this gets us away from the fact that as a teacher you are expected to meet certain standards and not get caught doing certain things - like getting busted for drugs for example.

Do drugs by all means but don't expect to be retained in the classroom if you do get caught.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Must say that I take issue with this.

Last time I did drugs was the early 70s and I hadn't passed my driving test.

But I wouldn't have fancied getting in a car with any of my mates who'd been smoking dope. Reaction times of a particularly somnolent sloth. Opiates? Nooooo! What about acid? I seriously freaked a couple of times. Heaven knows what would have happened if I'd been behind the wheel of a car.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Prescription drugs can be just as dodgy where driving is concerned. My doctors were at particular pains to warn me.

13. opalfeet

WHOOOAHH there! Please don't misquote me @slingshotsally @grumpydogwoman

Who said anything about driving under the influence of drugs being a good idea?

My distinction was that an individual taking drugs harms themselves versus an individual drink driving which potentially harms others!

@madenglishgirl I presume you were being sarcastic when you said alcohol ranks a respectable 5th? That's the 5th most harmful when compared to ecstasy which is ranked 18th most harmful for those that did not read the article

Other uses for alcohol @slingshotsally- and what about the other uses of ecstasy?

Marriage counselling and post traumatic stress

http://uk.complex.com/life/2016/02/how-molly-could-help-your-relationship

People will and have always taken drugs, it is part of the human condition. Those who drink alcohol and criticise the use of drugs are absolutely hypocritical in my opinion.

If the UK took a more progressive approach to drugs as they do in countries such as Luxembourg, Switzerland and Holland then there could be less deaths and indeed less crime. Many deaths are due to the added ingredients (in Leah Bett's case- over education), not the drugs themselves.

14. opalfeet

@peakster- yes I am sure most will agree that if you do get caught doing such things then you cannot be surprised with the consequences!

15. opalfeet

Correct... that is why it would be a good idea to stop the 'war on drugs' and look at ways that this could be done in a legal way so trading in this way does not harm so many people. It is an unwinnable war which affects many through gang warfare. If it was legitimate trade this would decrease as there would be less in the hands of gangs.

It will always be there...time we realised that and made some income as a country- there's so much lost tax there.

16. slingshotsally

Just because people indulge in something , doesn't mean that it is acceptable for recreational use. Medical uses are a different matter.

I am talking about alcohol as well as the other illegal substances. The effects on society are horrendous, no matter which substance people decide to indulge in.

I'm an exception- many people disagree with my views.

As regards the link about relationships and drugs... spurious at best. Conjecture, pure and simple.

17. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

18. opalfeet

@slingshotsally- a reasonable view to have as long as you practise what you preach. I assume you are a teetotaller who chooses not to drink alcohol and you are also ethical in your consumption choices.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Drugs don't put others at risk?

Mood-altering substances don't put others at risk? When you do something impetuous and someone else has to rescue you?

When you are unexpectedly called upon to do something while you are under the influence? And you take to your car or end up looking after kids? "Sorry, can't help you there. I'm stoned." I never heard anyone say that.

I've done them (nearly) all in my time. Alcohol, prescription, illegal.

Damage limited if you're a student in halls with nothing much to do. Me roaming around the town completely off my face when I was 18 wasn't too risky. Might have bumped into a few people. If I'd tumbled in front of a car and caused an accident then I'm not sure quite how sanguine I'd have been about my harmlessness.

20. slingshotsally

Having seen the effects of heroine, cocaine, speed, alcohol, MDMA, gambling, and cannabis on friends at university, I have developed a loathing you cannot imagine for recreational drug use.

I am teetotal.