1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drug charge over summer, suspended, prospects?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jiimmii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I stand corrected on my previous post, you are indeed right, did not realise that since 29 May 2013 they changed the law, To the OP, sorry but clearly you have a hurdle so significant now ahead of you that you probably would be best advised to call it a day on your teaching career.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

he won't actually have that choice, it'll be made for him.

for me it's not the taking drugs that's the problem here - it's the OP thinking that it won't have any effect on his career now that he's been caught.

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I've re-read the first post and am pretty certain this is a wind up. The policeman comment and it happened in Wales one seem to give it away. Perhaps the OP is contemplating drug taking and wanted to see if it would impact their career.

4. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

Late to this thread and a bit surprised by the preachiness of some of the posters. Ok, the law's the law and all that but still surprised that hardly anyone has made the comparison with alcohol. Of course alcohol is legal but in terms of the effectiveness of the teaching force alcohol is a hugely bigger problem than drugs. Absenteeism, reduced classroom performance, behaviour at social events (it always astonishes me that teachers think they're invisible in public) etc.
    I'm not defending what the OP did and understand why the school felt they had to act as they did but in practical, non-legal terms is what the OP did any worse than the thousands of teachers who have, at one time or another, had a skinful on a school night?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

But I've also known teachers being suspended for being drunk in school. It's no less a crime- or worry for the school.

6. Throweck

Throweck New commenter

Well, what a great thread for my first ever post!

I'm a head. Unfortunately I can't see the OP having a teaching career having a teaching career from this if it is genuine. The offer doesn't seem to be an offer. It's just suspended with pay until the investigation is concluded which could take around three months.

My guess is the investigation won't take long. HR will be involved. Class A drug possession will be mentioned, Wales will not be mentioned. That will be that.

I understand the OP's anxiety but as a Head it's the ripple effect. The Head has to find a new teacher at short notice, inform the children and parents of the OP's absence, deal with any possible media backlash, keep the staff informed, deal with concerned parents and above all else keep a class of very unsettled children calm at the start of a school year because of an unexpected change. And why? Because of someone else's bad decision.

If you where a teacher at my school the rest of my staff would also be angry as they have to fill the gaps.

7. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

But I think my point is that there is a lot more latitude usually given to teachers who have problems with alcohol. Most of us will know of colleagues who have got away with repeated 'sessions' on school nights (I worked in a school where a section of the PE department had a 'crash mat' area known to students and staff alike). Equally staff who have been alcohol dependant have been able to continue in their role (sometimes a very senior role) long after it's been obvious that their performance has been seriously impaired. There is a kind of double standards at work here.
    in

emerald52 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Alcohol. Legal. OTC pain-killers. Legal. Addictive. Destructive. Legal.

But that's the current way of the world.

If we're old enough to drive, have girlfriends, teach then we're old enough to know that.

9. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

True, but it doesn't alter the fact that more damage is done to schools by what is legal than what is illegal. And incidentally this double-standard also extends, in my experience, to school students. Student A permanently excluded for bringing (probably inadvertently) a small amount of drugs on site. Student B, off their head and aggressive on alcohol, taken home and counselled on their return.

10. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

It's a different country. They even speak Welsh, so can be classed as a foreign holiday.

11. slingshotsally

I have never worked at a school that used a "crash" mat for anything other than the purposes it was intended for.

In every school I have worked at, if there was even a hint of/ whiff of alcohol on you, a complaint would be made from a colleague or child, you'd be in the HT's office in the blink of an eye.

I worked with one head teacher (in London) who stated that if anyone ever came to work drunk, and they did so in a car, she would be calling the police, the HR and the union rep- in that order.

bevdex, sabrinakat, emerald52 and 6 others like this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Unfair though iot may seem, things turn nastier once the law is broken. It is also true that possession of class A drugs is mentioned as a specific reason for a teacher being barred, whereas alchohol is not. I do think that most schools would clamp down hard if sonebody were drunk while on duty.

To be honest, I canot see what can be achieved in an investigation; the facts are clear and the OP has admitted to the offence, so it is simply a matter for the school to decide on what needs to be done.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not illegal. There are many arguments to made that alcohol is far more damaging than some drugs which are prohibited but regardless of how silly you think a law is, if you deliberately and knowingly choose to break it, you can't complain about the consequences of getting caught.

14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You said it yourself. It is legal. What anyone, including yourself, thinks about this is not relevant. The only comparison is one can carry a jail term and one doesn't.

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What do you mean by 'inadvertently'? Every time I've been in a school where a student had been found with drugs, it was a deliberate act. Why do you make this spurious distinction?

As other posters have said, there is a simple matter of legality here. If you have a problem with the distinction, I suggest you contact your MP to bring about a change in the law.

16. slingshotsally

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  17. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

Interesting thread...

But, I don't think this is a genuine post- the op is far too stupid and naive to be true

I am sure there are many teachers who have either taken illegal drugs or take them. However, the real stupidity here is:

1. Telling the policeman you have drugs... why didn't the op just walk around and shout it at the top of their lungs.
    2. Telling the Head Teacher
    3. Expecting to carry on in the profession

I am not sure why people are talking about being caught drunk at school. There was no reference to taking drugs at school so not sure this is relevant.

I am not taking the moral high ground here-I agree with some of the posts on here about the questionable morality of some teachers and head teachers. However, if you are going to take drugs, don't get caught!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Drink Driving? Conviction.
    Caught with Drugs? Conviction or Caution.

Both can destroy a life.

Hypocritical that alcohol is a 'lesser' crime.

ps. I do think this OP and his 'situation' is a wind-up; if not, then so lacking in morals that they should never be around children ever again.

19. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

But the second destroys your own life, the first others.

20. slingshotsally

I just read this, and shook my head...

Drugs/alcohol destroy.

They have an enormous effect on society

- addictive (even if only a part of the population)
    - cause ill health (both have short term and long term consequences)
    - cost
    - violence

This list is by no means exhaustive.

sabrinakat likes this.