1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drug charge over summer, suspended, prospects?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jiimmii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Genuinely interested-why is it ok for him to be a nurse but not a teacher? Both work with vulnerable people, including children. I'm not defending drug-taking as people have died of it, but why is it ok for other professions?

Also genuine interest with what some of you've said-surely the police would have searched OP's car if he'd said he'd no drugs, so effectively he'd no choice about being honest with them?

Plus why is it better to take drugs with a girl than a group of lads? Less chance of crimes? Not necessarily.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There's a separate thread on Vaz.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Youthful stupidity can be forgiven many years down the line. The person may have reflected, changed, rehabilitated, recanted his past errors and done good deeds.

Rehabilitation - a second chance. An amazing thing, wouldn't you agree?

4. May2

May2 Established commenter

This has certainly been an interesting thread. I don't know if there is any increase or whether I am just more aware of drugs lately. I probably naïvely used to think that drug users/dealers were mainly rough undesirable sorts with a few rich kids getting hold of them. However a few months ago my daughter had a junior doctor move into her shared house. He regularly took classA drugs and actually had some delivered to their house before he even moved in. The other house sharers were not happy and spent a while deciding what to do. Tell his parents (father a vicar)? Report him to police? knowing it could end his career at 25 after all those years of study. In the end after a big row he moved out and they didn't report him . Another close friend of my daughter takes drugs classA at certain recreational events. He is in his 30s doing research into alzchiemers, a very intelligent man. The drugs seem easy to find in this smallish academic city. To some of the younger generation they do seem to be very common at certain events and they just seem oblivious or just ignore what might be the consequence.
    Although the OP was obviously in the wrong I can also see that normally he may be a very ordinary sensible chap and it does seem quite sad how easily you can jeopardise your whole life and future.

Lalad likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's a great shame everyone jumping in with both feet to pour scorn in the OP isn't so vociferous about cheating and heads removing good staff for financial or personal reasons on a non evidential basis, just invalid and unreliable observations. They are the true blight on the profession - and almost NONE are brought to book.

I suspect there are many teachers who have used drugs. This one got caught yet blind eyes are turned to cheating. Makes me puke to be honest. Is a doctor using ecstasy at a festival once in a while worse than one who falsifies medical records to make themselves look better, secure more cash for their hospital, promote their hospital over others on dishonest data, and ruin the careers of other doctors?

I think not, but I've always been out of step.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I haven't commented before because l don't understand why people take drugs - intelligent, educated people that is.

So l find it hard to sympathise with the OP - he knew the risks. Hopefully he'll enjoy a better career outside teaching.

7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

I think drug taking is more secretly common with teachers than advertised. Personally, drugs isn't an ideal lifestyle as I know some people making undesired choices. Yet, each to their own.

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think you're right. I worked in a large extended department, many years ago now, where one area bragged about their drug taking. It was clear that the drugs weren't always out of their systems when they were at work and it led to some problems. I was approached by one of that team to ask if I wanted any - they were supplying. I never said anything to anybody, I was a new teacher then, but I was uncomfortable with the situation.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As many others have said, the DBS check will sink most prospects of future employment as a teacher or classroom assistant until the caution is removed from the record, if at all.

It is however possible to work in schools without a DBS if you are:

Self-employed (self-employed can't apply for DBS, only employers)
    You don't go to the same school more than a small number of times in any one month
    You are always supervised by a DBS cleared person when on school premises

So for example, if you were a member of a peripatetic drama group or a performing musician you could work in schools under the above conditions.

slingshotsally likes this.
  10. MegMorris1

MegMorris1 New commenter

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

As a health care at my hospital has recently been dismissed for drunk driving, I would be very surprised if a nurse was able to get a job with a drug conviction. Especially as a nurse has easy and ready access to drugs.

12. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Can I clear up one thing here that some people may not understand. Yes your caution will appear on a DBS check but it will only do so for the next 6 years. The idea that a caution is with you for life is wrong, Cautions will not appear on a DBS check after 6 years has expired, unless they fall into a certain category. A conviction for supplying drugs would do so, possession does not. Here's a link to a government website that makes this clear.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-filtering-guidance/dbs-filtering-guide

I am not here to offer you advice on what to do just to let you know that your options in this profession are not as finished as posters on here suggest.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

So our OP just needs to find an alternative career for six years and then decide to 'return' to teaching.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"So you're applying for a post here at St Plumpington's and I notice you took a break from teaching for 6 years. So what prompted that?"

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not quite true.
    This document gives you more advice and tells what many of us already know, which is that convictions may be 'spent' but will still be declared in teaching applications. You will have to declare this caution for drugs, even if spent.

slingshotsally and wanet like this.
  16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Not necessarily mate. My reading is that an enhanced CRB check can include anything relevant on the system. In another job you may be right. Working as a teacher will require an enhanced check. I would hazard a guess authorities would deem this as relevant as well.

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I know of two nurses who quite recently stole drugs in a large hospital in the south west of England - within a year of each other. One lost their job. However, the other was not allowed access to drugs for a period, but retained their job. Both were formally investigated but I don't think that the police were involved.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't really care what the OP gets up to at a festival. I do care that they show such poor judgement in thinking that a caution for class A drugs is somehow mitigated by it being a few hundred miles from their place of employment, at a festival or with his girlfriend.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Hey come on...it was WALES! Makes it all okay surely? :rolleyes:

rachelpaula008 and FrankWolley like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you're a teacher you don't get yourself busted for drug possession.

Not difficult is it.