1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drug charge over summer, suspended, prospects?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jiimmii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. AlchemyAardvark

AlchemyAardvark New commenter

You or your girlfriend could have died - unlikely yes but a lost job is nothing compared to that.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's a pity you aren't a head who asks teachers to cheat, a teacher who submits fraudulent coursework, or a governor or exam board who turn a blond eye. Or a head who puts people on trumped up capability and destroys their career.

You'd have been fine in that case.

Morality is a funny thing.

Still, good luck.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Reminds me of a favorite HST quote:

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.

Don't panic, you'll probably end up doing something much better, more lucrative and with a better public image.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Going off at a tangent but this so reminded me of a occasion in my early career when we had a child in the HT's room with a police officer and their parent, as they had been caught stealing.
    The parent's response was something like, "You silly idiot for getting caught!" (Other particular words may actually have been used.;))

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Brain damage?

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I don't understand why OP didn't take legal advice?

You'd think, if he took drugs, that OP would have at least looked into what to do if caught? Wouldn't you have a solicitor's number on speed dial, if you were doing something illegal?

http://www.themix.org.uk/drink-and-drugs/drugs-and-the-law/if-caught-with-drugs-9584.html

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/bustcard.html

Surely, you would have explored the consequences of drug taking?

It is well known for police to check cars/people going to/leaving a festival. It's the easiest thing in the world, simply wait and they will come, improving a statistics in next to no time.

Can people really be this daft?

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have begun to think about the 't' word, I have to admit.

sabrinakat and slingshotsally like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I work in community drug services now delivering careers advice but I spent eight years in criminal justice previously.
    The OP was extremely fortunate only to be cautioned.

However he must surely have known that all cautions remain on an enhanced DBS and it was likely to spell the end of his teaching career?

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Only beginning? You're getting slow GDW.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

11. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Take the money and run.

slingshotsally and emerald52 like this.
  12. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

There are many to choose from though.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I got a message asking me to comment on this thread because when I was a head I dealt with a similar case and so can speak from experience.

First of all, the police officer who recorded the OP as "unemployed" rather than as a teacher was himself guilty of misconduct and could be disciplned (even dismissed) for it. The OP was guilty of a "reportable" offence because he is a teacher and the police officer should have reported it.

The member of staff with which I dealt was dismissed and referred to the (then) GTCE, receiving a prohibition order. Their attempt to get further employment meant that they had to ask for a reference and as the work was similarly "reportable", I had no option but to report what they had been dismissed for.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Much has been posted in the media about a certain Prime Minister and his Chancellor sidekick who were active cocaine users at one time. However, they were lucky enough not to get caught.
    You were.

16. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

another young person died from taking the drug that was in your possession, would the average parent want you teaching their child? I would not.

17. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Going off on a tangent...

This is a really sorry case. The OP - I'm not sure of his / her age will surely be banned from travelling to great places like America. Forever. They won't let you in, even for a trip to New York.

Getting a bit po-faced...

Did you know about your placement before you went buying class A drugs?

Getting a bit worried now...

If. IF I ever had a position of responsibility, I wouldn't employ you. You took the risk buying Es and you got caught.

What a **** up.

Laphroig, Lara mfl 05 and hammie like this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

People sensible enough to do that are probably sensible enough not to be doing something illegal!

Even if this isn't real, it has been a (mostly) very interesting thread.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D
    A fabulously succinct way of putting it!

Lara mfl 05 and rachelpaula008 like this.
  20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

either you're a troll, or someone who didn't listen to any safeguarding lectures, has a huge sense of entitlement, or is just plain stupid.
    you've just wrecked your career because you didn't even bother to think.

troll, i'm guessing. i don't believe that bit about the policeman. that'd have been found out in 5 minutes.