1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping the 11pm feed

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ellesabe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    My LO is 7mo tomorrow and I had in mind that I would think about dropping the 11pm feed at this age. She has always slept quite well, only occasionally needing a feed during the night at 4am. However we got off to quite a slow start with weaning and although she has three meals a day she doesn't eat loads, still largely relying on her milk feeds to fill her up. So should I just bite the bullet and see how long she will sleep tonight? Or should I keep on waking her for a feed at 11pm until she is eating more! Before becoming a patent I had no idea I would be agonising so much over all these little decisions!

2. Hi all,
    My LO is 7mo tomorrow and I had in mind that I would think about dropping the 11pm feed at this age. She has always slept quite well, only occasionally needing a feed during the night at 4am. However we got off to quite a slow start with weaning and although she has three meals a day she doesn't eat loads, still largely relying on her milk feeds to fill her up. So should I just bite the bullet and see how long she will sleep tonight? Or should I keep on waking her for a feed at 11pm until she is eating more! Before becoming a patent I had no idea I would be agonising so much over all these little decisions!

3. I would maybe wait until the weekend or when your OH won't mind a disturbed night. The reason I say this is because if it all goes pear-shaped, you won't feel the pressure of making sure LO doesn't disturb anyone getting up for work. Also, hopefully he can help out (if you're not bf)!.
    However, hopefully, your LO will sleep through without needing it anyway.
    x

4. We're at pretty much the same stage - my LO is 8 months this week and I have been meaning to drop the dreamfeed for ages but had loads on and being wimpy about her suddenly waking up in the night again. All my NCT friends have already done and so was feeling a bit useless! So last week I set about cutting down - I think it is the way The Baby Whisperer does it and only works if bottle feeding. Idea is for example 6oz for 3 nights, then 5oz for 3 nights, then 4, then 3 and then after three nights of 3 you take the plunge and let them sleep!
    It was all going to plan until two nights into 5oz and then LO just refused any milk and I had to leave her - she slept right through! This was last Friday night and she has gone through every night from 7 - 6:45. Am not relaxed about it yet and keep waking up at five expecting her to!
    That said, she does eat quite a lot during the day so I might wait a few more weeks til your little one is having three good meals. I know of other people who are still doing late night feeds at a year.

5. Woah!

We were going to leave it until the weekend but she has eaten a fair amount today as went out like a light this evening. She had one long nap this morning from 10-12 and was awake all afternoon (apart from 10 mins in the car) so she was knackered! She has grizzled a couple of times this evening but has gone straight back to sleep when I've put her on her tummy/given a dummy.

I'm so undecided! Argghhhh!

6. Don't wake a sleeping baby!

7. Thanks for that. We've woken her at 11pm since she was born and she has slept through until 7am since she was 7 weeks old.

8. Okay so last night didn't go too well! We left her to sleep and she woke asking for feeds at midnight AND 5am! Grrrr. Then she wasn't hungry enough for breakfast, starving again by 10am etc etc etc. Oh well, we'll try again tonight.

9. My little bruiser wouldn't part with his dream feed until 14 months. [​IMG] We tried gradually decreasing it and moving it earlier. Got it down to about 3oz at 9pm and then got stuck there for months! If we tried missing the dreamfeed, then he'd wake up just after midnight. Eventually, he just stopped taking it.

10. Maybe you should just keep giving her the 11pm one elle...she seems to be happy as she is!

11. That's what I thought today but this evening LO has had other plans! I woke her at 10:40 because I thought I heard something going on in her nappy. Anyway, nappy was clean and when I offered her a feed she just stared at my boobs like I was a right weirdo! So I've just put her back down In her cot and am listening to her snuffling away on the baby monitor.
    We'll see how this goes. She is so strange!

12. Babies ARE strange! Sasha never had a dream feed but sometimes intbink a bit of cold turkey works ...

13. Feed it at 6pm and then again at 9am. Babies are small and do not need much food.

14. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

have you really nothing better to do loser?

15. Why would you wake a baby who is asleep? This sounds a weird thing to do.

16. If it means they sleep through to a reasonable hour then why not? Unfortunately it never worked for me. To the OP it's an urban myth that they dont need a night feed after 6 months. My daughter ate really well but needed a bottle at about 4am until she was 8 months. It doesnt sound to me like your little one is ready to go through.

17. Why does a baby need a bottle? Why would a baby need to have something rubber in their mouth?

18. my LO is nearly 8 months and eats loads of solids - 2 weetabix and a slice of toast for breakfast (he is only little, i don't know where he puts it!) - we haven't dream fed at all but he still wants milk feeds at least once in the night - If you are happy with dream feeding her, keep doing it until she drops it.

19. Are sergie and Marib the same person? It's a shame up to a couple of days ago this was a nice forum where people didnt come on making snide comments.

20. LOL, you are rude.