1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping subject responsibility

Discussion in 'Primary' started by articmonkey, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm returning to work soon from maternity leave and going back for 3 days a week. Before I left I was working full time and had the role of literacy coordinator for my school (a large primary school). I really really don't want to continue coordinating literacy when I go back. I just won't have the time to focus in it when I'm only in 3 days a week and feel its too much work with a young baby at home. I am on pay scale 6 and have never been paid any extra for the role or given management time even though it's always been our schools key focus. Am I allowed to give up the subject or am I expected to continue with it as that's what I did before going on leave?

2. Hi all,

I'm returning to work soon from maternity leave and going back for 3 days a week. Before I left I was working full time and had the role of literacy coordinator for my school (a large primary school). I really really don't want to continue coordinating literacy when I go back. I just won't have the time to focus in it when I'm only in 3 days a week and feel its too much work with a young baby at home. I am on pay scale 6 and have never been paid any extra for the role or given management time even though it's always been our schools key focus. Am I allowed to give up the subject or am I expected to continue with it as that's what I did before going on leave?

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Presumably someone else was care-taking for you whilst you were absent - let them carry on. I would definitely give it up. If they expect you to carry on then it is a big ask imo.