1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping QTS

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by neverknow, Nov 12, 2018.

1. neverknow

neverknow New commenter

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences/advice of dropping the QTS aspect of a teaching degree? I’m currently in my second year of a BA Primary Ed course and I’m considering it, due to finding the placement aspects of the course incredibly stressful, and wondering if it will be actually any use to me or my employment prospects since I've decided that when I finish I don’t want to go into teaching. I’m basically wondering what effect it would have. However, I enjoy the theory and knowledge behind the work I do whilst in uni, and am decided that I want to finish what I started as I am two years into a course that I’ve already put so much effort and work into that I don’t want to go to waste. Anyway, feeling pretty glum about the whole situation at the moment, so wondered if anyone who had been in a similar position had any advice or motivation to keep going. Thank you, I appreciate any replies!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTs is the element which allows you to teach in maintained schools as a qualified teacher. If you are finding the teaching part of the course not to your liking then discuss with your tutor changing to a straight BA degree. You should also talk this through with the university careers service.