1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping BF altogether after going down to once a day

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Coolgiraffe, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I think I'm ready to drop it altogether now baby is 6 months but I'm worried about mastitis / pain etc.
    Will this affect me if baby is only bf for about 5-10 mins once a day?
    how do I stop without problems?
    Baby CG isn't bothered as she still has a full formula top up after this morning feed anyway so she isn't getting much from me, it's just a comfort thing really.
    I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks, will I be ok to stop now?
    x

2. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Thanks for advice so far, I never did produce enough milk for her as she has always had a formula top up. I offered her breastmilk before every feed until 3 months, then just before 1st morning feed and before teatime feed until 4 months, then between 4 and 6 months she's just had a little of my milk 1st thing in a morning but still downed a 7oz bottle.
    I'm a little apprehensive about losing the 'closeness' of bf once a day but deep down I know she doesn't really bother about it, she fusses loads during bf anyway.
    I have a health problem which won't start to resolve whilst bf so I'm keeping in mind it's for me too.
    hmmmm, the guilt returns!!!
    xxx

3. Don't feel guilty. I know it's easier said than done but you have given her a great start. Mine was a fuss pot when it came to feeding too. You can still have cuddles and story at the time when you would normally feed her to keep the closeness.
    I have to say, I loved stopping, I could wear propper bras again and not worry if I drank too much.
    Hope it goes well and your health problem is soon sorted x