1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping back to M6 from UPS1

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Brabanski, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

The job I am doing for UPS1 just isn't what it was when I started. I really enjoyed it and felt that it was benefitting the pupils. It has now turned into a paperchase/admin/action plan.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should address this? Am I too late to ask for this change to take place from January? Do you think it will put a 'black mark' against my name?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

why do people get so caught up in this "black marks"? Who cares? quality of life matters, not "black marks".

MissGeorgi and mswisdom like this.
  3. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Whilst you may not care some of us do. Quality of life does matter but on the whole I love the place I teach and I don't want to make my life difficult when I spend a decent chunk of my day at work … hence why I have come on here to ask for advice on how to approach the situation.

4. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I didn't drop from UPS 1 but I did resign from a pastoral TLR that was massively impacting my mental health and my physical health (all my fellow psoriasis sufferers - what's up?!?!?!?!) and I don't feel there's a black mark against my name (in fact members of senior leadership have told me I'm more than welcome to return to the role or a different role in the future when I feel better). I spoke to my union and they helped me draft a resignation email, which my school was happy to accept effective immediately. I would suggest talking to a trusted senior colleague or your union for advice x

agathamorse likes this.
  5. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Thank you for this advice! I will do something similar I think, and hand in a formal notice. Means there is no grey area this way at least. Hopefully I won't be too late for this to start in from January.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I think the general expectation is like a post - give them a half term's notice. But maybe be really frank - I couldn't hide how hard I was finding it in the end. I kept up a good face until I just didn't and then it all sort of spiraled out of control so you're probably better off just being honest and talking to someone about it - even if it is just your union x

Brabanski likes this.
  7. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Thank you Bmackender! All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

8. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Interesting and whilst schools can set their own pay scales etc I thought that UPS was a recognition of good teaching and not something that is linked to 'extra' responsibility - that is what the TLRs are for. Perhaps get hold of your school's pay policy and see if you have been asked to do something that should have a TLR attached to it, it may be that as an experienced member you have been asked to this extra admin stuff and that may not change even if you indicate you are willing to drop to MPS.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You aren't entitled to 'resign' from a pay point or bits of your job. You can resign from your whole job if you want to, and get another job somewhere else, but not unilaterally announce you are no longer going to do parts of your job and pay yourself something different (even if it is less).

You aren't entitled to resign a TLR either, although the school can (and usually will if it's possible) agree to a request to give it up voluntarily (as happened in Bmackenders case).

The way forward is to ask the head if you can go back to mainscale and give up doing specific tasks that have been assigned to you. I'm sure the head will be delighted to pay you less. As for the tasks - well, it depends what they are and who will do them instead I suppose. The head has discretion to agree to your request; you don't have the right to do it unilaterally.

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

you asked for points of view, I gave you mine

Jesmond12 likes this.
  11. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Thank you! Also really helpful. Very much appreciated.

install and Pomza like this.
  12. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Our academy has always stated that you are required to do more for UPS1/2/3. It's crazy how much we are asked to do, and I do not know any other school that does this. It wasn't a problem in the beginning as I enjoyed my 'extra' role but it's not what it used to be.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy New commenter

Which is why you must discuss salary and expectations at interview. I'd be annoyed by a head demanding more work for the trivial boost of being on UPS3. I am old enough to remember it was intended to keep experienced teachers in the classroom, instead of pushing paper in offices. Of course heads feel they have to turn the screw every chance they get now.

agathamorse and Dorsetdreams like this.
  14. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

Thank you for your insight. It isn't something I had thought about so I really appreciate it.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. diddydave

My first step would be to check you school's pay policy, particularly any references to what has to be done to move onto the upper pay scale AND how it differs from their policy on TLRs. If there is nothing specific then I'd look at this document: https://assets.publishing.service.g...4/School_teachers_pay_and_conditions_2019.pdf

16. MMaths23

MMaths23 New commenter

I have breifly checked the policy states that for UPS1/2 that you take on an additional responsibility within the department. UPS3 is responsibility for the whole school.

The only TLR available at our school is for head/second of department and head of house.

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As Diddydave says in post 8, the upper pay spine was designed to extend the teaching pay scale to encourage experienced teachers to stay in the classroom. There has developed in recent years an expectation that UPS teacher will contribute more widely to the life of the school but dumping admin tasks on you wasn't the original idea. However, as I have predicted on other threads and as some teachers are experiencing, the granting of UPS points now comes with these additional jobs tagged on. In these days of academies and MATs this is a way of reducing the pay bill and is a fact of life for most schools. Unfair? Yes of course but the inevitable consequence of the government's cuts to the education budget.

As regards your question, by all means ask to ditch the paperchase work if you can afford the loss of pay. If asked why then just say it was affecting your teaching and that must be your top priority. No one can give you a black mark for making the learning of your students your top priority.

agathamorse, strawbs and Brabanski like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Although as OP's school is an academy they don't have to comply with STPCD rules regarding what has to be done to be appointed to UPS.

install likes this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, when I did UPS it was in recognition of effective teaching and not to be confused with a TLR, which was an additional responsibility payment.

It seems as though in practice, this has now changed and a conversation about the possibility of relinquishing the extra responsibility needs to take place.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. diddydave

Absolutely which is why I said it would only be a fall back if the academy's policy is silent on the issue