1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping a management role

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by perkins28, Oct 3, 2017.

1. perkins28

perkins28 New commenter

Hi

Not sure this is the right forum for this but I am an EYFS phase leader and also class teacher.

I was given the role of phase leader to 'act up' for a colleague for a year whilst she was off on maternity leave. She has decided not to come back and so now I have the role permanently.

I'm not sure I really want to do the role, I am a full time EYFS teacher and also training as a SENCo. I only thought I was covering the role for a year.

Does anyone know if you can 'drop' the role mid year but still stay as the teacher in the class? Basically, I don't want to be moved from my EYFS class but not sure I can keep it if I resign from my phase leader post.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you in advance

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

In general you can't resign only from your management role and decide unilaterally to become just a classroom teacher. Resignation is all or nothing. You need to discuss this with the head and get their agreement, That will depend, among other things, who else there is to take over EYFS leader role.

Are you receiving additional salary for the role? When appointed to the role did the formal letter of appointment say it was only for a fixed period or was the appointment "indefinitely", ie permanent?

3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Have you signed a contract for that role? Is it permanent or temporary?
    You would need to speak to the HT in the first instance and explain that you would like to step down as Phase Leader giving the reason that you want to focus on your career as an SENCO.

If there is a teacher within the school that wants the progression and is experienced enough to take on the role then that’s up to the HT to make the appointment.

4. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

What does the term 'act up' mean? When the decision was made that she wasn't coming back, surely the SLT realise that that made a difference in what you initially agreed with.
    What is it you are 'not sure' of in this role? I'm an EYFS coordinator.
    You'll be responsible for inputting the data in Summer for the cohorts and I don't think SLT will be happy that it may then fall on someone else's shoulders, particularly as we have completed a half term.