1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropped out of NQT but want to teach again

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Brockhurst, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Brockhurst

Brockhurst New commenter

Hi everyone..... I'm looking for some advice.

I passed my Secondary science PGCE in 2008. I loved the course and the teaching and was very enthusiastic. I started my NQT year straight away before the summer holidays. A couple of months in, so about October time, I started to really feel the pressure and felt a real lack of support from my mentor and head of department (who was also new to the school). I expressed my concerns and was just told I was doing a great job and to carry on. By December I was suffering severe anxiety and was signed off from work by my doctor. The school constantly rang me and I felt very pressured to go back. I think in panic and due to a lack of maturity I made the decision that I couldn't carry on and resigned. I felt such a failure and decided I would never teach again. I took a science based job again and then stopped work to have my two children (now 5 and 4). I now work as the office manager of our village pre-school and work with the children when the staff are ill/training etc. I have also been home tutoring a couple of primary children in maths for the last 18 months and volunteering in my daughter's class one morning a week since she started last September (2014). I absolutely love working with children and as my son will start school next September I am thinking ahead to what I will do long term.

I have a few questions. Firstly, am I likely to get anywhere applying for NQT jobs at secondary level considering I quit my NQT job before? Secondly, I really feel I should have done a primary PGCE to start with. I've read lots of threads about how hard it is to make the transition from secondary to primary and how few jobs there are. If I was able to do some more voluntary work do you think I have any hope of doing my NQT year in the primary sector? I would love to do this but would rather go back to secondary than not teach at all. My final question is would it be more sensible to apply for TA jobs first to get some more classroom experience before attempting an NQT year given the length of time since my PGCE?

Thanks in advance - any advice would be great.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Teaching secondary science with two small children will be extremely hard ; much harder than your first attempt without children.

What you could do try getting some days in primary schools working on supply and that may lead to something permanent or being able to complete your NQT year. In somemareas of the country there are shortages of primary teachers. You don't have go through agencies, you can contact schools directly and you may get a favourable response since you have recent teaching experience in maths.

If I were you, I would avoid secondary if you feel you would be happier in primary. Although you will of course get challenging behaviour in primary, it can now be very stressful in secondary schools with the number of pupils you are responsible for and the challenging behaviour.

What you want to do is think carefullyna out how you are going to manage your work and family since you don't want to put yourself under unbearable pressure- and most people on here would say put your family first.

Brockhurst likes this.
  3. Brockhurst

Brockhurst New commenter

Will I be able to do supply though? Isn't there a time limit if you don't complete your NQT year?

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am not sure about your query....I think yoummight be right.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Supply work is often a good place to start particularly if you want to get experience of a different phase. There is no time limit to completing induction the limit is 5 years for non induction supply work and unfortunately you have exceeded this. Your route in may be initially via voluntary work or TA roles to get a foot in the door.
    It is difficult to complete an induction in a phase you have not been trained in as the school can not make allowances for this and have to assess you as they would any primary NQT. It may be easier to complete induction in secondary and then go into primary?
    From your post you are in the countryside so you need to research your local teacher jobs market. Generally unless the schools are expanding there can be a shortage of primary phase posts.