1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropped from M3 to M2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by coakes23, Oct 15, 2019.

1. coakes23

coakes23 New commenter

My teaching career started 10years ago now and with a mixture of supply and part time contracts I was at M3 on the Payscale.

I then started a family and other than a short part time maternity cover I hadn't worked as a 'teacher' for 5 years.

I returned to work 2.5years ago as a HLTA where I did PPA cover (I planned, assessed and delivered all my lessons on my own) I also did a bit of a supply which was paid at M3.

I have recently started a new job and my first payslip tells me I am on M2. I have also had a letter confirming this when we were told of the 2.75% payrise. I am yet to see or sign a contract but that doesn't seem unusual from previous experience. They can take months to appear.

I suppose what I'm asking is can you go down a Payscale for whatever reason or has there been a genuine mistake. I just want to be armed with some facts before approaching the head.

Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

A few years ago, pay portability disappeared, and you now need to negotiate pay at interview or when you receive the job offer. Sorry if you'd missed out on that information. At least it wasn't M1!

strawbs likes this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Unfortunately another person not keep up the events. This happened many years ago. Perhaps you could write a letter to Mr Gove expressing your concerns.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You have to be more savvy than this. Sorry, but agree with the above. This isn’t a small print change.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Too late for you this time, but I recommend that you download STPCD and the Burgundy Book, assuming they apply in your school, and read them. A bit tedious, but employees need to know their rights.

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

A bit like you then? Old coke-head Gove isn't education secretary anymore. It's Gavin now..do keep up.

7. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Most of the problems we deal with on this web site are caused by Mr Gove, thus my suggestion. Gavin has not been in post long enough to cause many problems