1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dropbox - saves me taking my school laptop home, recovers deleted files too

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencenoob, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I've got dropbox installed on my home pc and I've got it
    installed on my school laptop and it keeps my work files in sync between
    the two. When I create or change a document at home it automatically
    copies across to my creaky old school laptop. To top it off there is a
    copy in the internet and if you accidentally delete that worksheet you
    spent hours creating, log onto the dropbox website and recover it (they
    keep deleted versions for weeks before wiping them permanently).

I wish I'd started using this years ago! Sign up with this link and get extra free space when you sign up.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What do you get in return for a new sign-up? I note that your link has the word "referrals" in the url.

3. Both referrer and new person get an extra 250Mb of storage space - no cash or soul selling involved!
    I was stopped in the corridor this week and asked about a report that had gone missing. From my mobile phone I could download the report from my dropbox and then email it to the office while carrying on the same conversation. Of course I could have gone back to my PC, fired it up and then done the same, but that's just one of the reasons I love dropbox.
    (You can also send photos from your mobile phone to your dropbox so you have them backed up).
    Apologies to those of you who use it already, or the luddites amongst you :) I just thought it was pretty clever!

4. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

I thought the same, but scencenoob is correct, the Dropbox affiliate scheme died a death in 2009 and now they offer extra storage for free if you refer a 'friend'.
    See link...
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/54

So, quite a good idea all in all, I think I may sign up.
    Cheers [​IMG]

5. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

I've been a fan for ages - I use it in much the same way on my computer and my mobile. I've tried alternatives but always come back to dropbox.

6. fiendishlyclever

Versioning (can get previous versions of saved documents), can recover deleted files, access from any PC or net connected device. A modicum of intelligence may not prevent your USB disk from failing. There will always be luddites who don't see the point of new technologies - this is only for the enlightened! :p

7. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

love it !!! [​IMG]

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

being unelightened in the ICT area makes life far less stressful. My blackbaord will still be going when your VLE has gone to Silicon heaven!

9. chalk is a non-renewable resource too!

10. fiendishlyclever

I prefer dry wipe pens - the stinky ones make some long lessons seem quite bearable!

(and for the earlier poster we don't use a VLE - kind of the Emperor's New Clothes of the educational technology world -although I'm sure many will disagree :) To bring the thread back on topic another top tip for those without a VLE is to sign up for DropItToMe which allows anyone to upload files to your dropbox - ideal for students to submit work. (Apologies for lack of formatting - it's the downside of using Google Chrome to access these forums).

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I bet my box of chalk lasts longer than your computer network.

12. i think dropbox is great - i team teach a class with a teacher, we both have dropbox on our PCs at home, so we can adapt resources and it immediately updates on the other person's screen, plus it's easily accessible at school when we want something. no more stresses about lost usb sticks or emailing versions of things to each other...think it's great!

13. I think one or two people joined as a result of reading this thread and using my referral to give you extra space (250Mb extra storage with this link).
    I prefer this method of cloud storage to Google Docs as I can use MS Office to edit my files on either of my laptops and I don't worry about finding my USB flash drive in the tumble drier again! Good to see others trying it out too - thanks folks :)

14. Dropbox is awesome, I use it all the time, makes moving work between pcs so much easier than having to remember a usb stick all the time.

15. +1 for Dropbox.
    There is another similar service called SugarSync that will automatically back up the photos on your phone too from the official app. I prefer Dropbox though - it just works!

16. fiendishlyclever

I tried SugarSync and I found it a little complicated for what I wanted (powerful but complicated!). Part of the reason that Dropbox works so well is the simplicity - and the fact it is so well supported across most platforms/devices.
    Since this thread started I've searched the web and found even more uses for Dropbox (they even do a team edition for business). Would love to hear how people on here use it :)

17. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

Does anyone have a policy from their workplace, regarding the use of Dropbox please? If so, can they provide a web link or their email address, so I can have a copy? Thank you.

18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My school afaIk has no policy on dropbox. I have found it useful for sending big files, but it is not foolproof.
    Thursday's lessons didn't get through, probably as a result of server problems, but possibly as a result of me not pressing buttons in the right order.
    Bit of a pain, as I didn't find out until I fired up the work laptop to find .....very little.
    "Oh sorry class, the computer lost your lesson"
    Grrrr.
    Memory sticks can be more reliable.
    P

19. scientist555

scientist555 New commenter

Do you find that your school systems allow you to install this on a school computer? Thanks

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I haven't installed it on my school computer - I just log on to the website I can download but not upload. If I send school stuff home I use memory sticks or good old e-mail.
    I would not want to install it as an active file on the school computer as there would be too much danger of my accidentally removing files from the school network.
    Dropbox can be good for sending files to work, but it deletes folders from the "normal" dives on the computer unless you do a "save as" with a different filename. When I read the dropbox forums, I amazed at the panicked messages from people who have saved all their company's documents on dropbox and then had a colleague accidentally delete them. A lot of people out there who do not comprehend back-ups.
    P