1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drop-out rate among new teachers has doubled

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

’The number of new teachers in Scotland dropping out after less than a year in the job has doubled in just four years.

In total, almost 300 probationers have left the profession since the 2014-15 school year.

The new figures also reveal that, while the number of primary probationers dropping out is higher, the rate among secondary probationers has risen more steeply.

Last school year, a total of 34 secondary probationers left teaching before the summer holidays, almost three times more than the 12 who quit in 2014-15.’

What are your views about the number of new teachers quitting the profession after less than a year? Is the SNP really doing enough to stem the crisis and reduce the teacher shortage? Pay and workload are the main drivers for people leaving the profession but what other priorities need to be addressed to solve the issue?

https://www.tes.com/news/revealed-drop-out-rate-among-new-teachers

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

300 out of how many?

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

12 or 34 is a low number.

4. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

"our policies are making teaching an attractive career choice"
    Yet another scandalous comment by these idiots in the Scottish government.
    Chemical Ali would not be radical enough to get a job woth this government.

I never thought i would say this but after 20+ years the job is F####d

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

The job is indeed f_cked.

I would never contemplate teaching now. It's about the only job I know of where the core function - teaching - actually doesn't matter all that much.

Each time I read or hear of a story in the media claiming that teachers and schools need to wipe their pupils' bums, teach pupils how to swim, "care more" for their pupils' mental health, do this for their pupils, or do that for their pupils, I think "No! That's not why I became a teacher! I became a teacher to teach, not to be an amateur social worker". You wonder what pupils' parents do wrt raising their own kids - and I do know there are a lot of disadvantaged kids out there. You would think that teaching and preparing lessons is hard enough work in its own right but more and more is demanded of us each and every year.

And then there are the idiots amongst us who volunteer - actually, volunteer, as in "want to" - work for no pay. What sad b_stards they really are, they make me want to vomit.

It's now a sad job. Looked down upon by most of the public who think we are "only" teachers and how dare they even think about striking when they're so well paid ("I wish I had their pay"), start at 9am and finish at 3pm, and get three months holiday per year. Counting the days until I leave, not giving a f_ck along the way.

6. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

I leave teaching at Christmas. The relief is immense, that permanent knot in my stomach has gone. The stress associated with my impossible workload has been making me ill. The first week back in August I cried from exhaustion in front of a class. That was the moment I decided enough was enough.

This is the first holiday in 5 years that I have not developed materials. My subject has had major overhauls in content and structure year on year and I am a HOD trying to provide my staff with the basics for teaching our ever changing courses. There are many contributing factors that have brought me to this place. Here are some of them: workload, SQA changes, staffing, lack of cover, inadequate time to develop materials, budget cuts, behaviour, pressure to reach impossible targets, feeling the responsibility for raising attainment with none of the control required to get there.

I kept looking for the light at the end of the tunnel... now it is here. Plans? Have a rest until I feel better. The sound bites coming from politicians makes me angry. Yes, I will be on the march and I will support a strike. Good teachers are leaving, therefore the experience for each pupil in Scotland will be diminished. Sad isn't it? I had high hopes when Mr Swinney took up the challenge but he has failed to have a positive impact on learning and teaching.

Nerudapaz, bigjimmy2 and beharder like this.
  7. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

PS I just realised that pay was not on my list. Pay and career progression are essential. However, if I were offered a million pounds to return to my job, I would not take it. Seize the day... just bought myself a whole heap of time and it feels good.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Make sure you enjoy your remaining nine weeks until Christmas and the relaxing time you will have after that!

Marisha likes this.
  9. beharder

feeling the responsibility of raising attainment with none of the control required to get there - expertly put Acky Wacky there is very little the classroom teacher can do. Ridiculous policies from above,each one collectively making it more difficult for you to do your job.

Lucky you to be approaching your last term ive got my last term planned(sadly a few years yet) A long list of people will be getting told exactly what i think of them.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is it worth it? Just smile,nod and sing "let it go" in your head!

markbannan and bigjimmy2 like this.
  11. beharder

If truth be told i do it now,far too outspoken for my own good.

bigjimmy2 and catmother like this.
  12. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Right on the mark, the last thing anyone gives a toss about is teaching the subject they were trained in. Too many people now see themselves as experts on anything from child psychology to cognitive behavioural therapy, stuff they know nothing about but which they like cause it gives them a certain kudos and crucially gets them out of the classroom for a time at least. And that, the desire to do anything except teach, is the poison at the heart of the system. For once they get their foot out of the door these pseudo experts will do anything to avoid ever coming back inside it. And that is a tacit admission that teaching is a s..t job, an undoable job, one that no one in their right mind would do. Funny, though, the whole tribe of those who don't teach - managers in particular - always like to pretend that they could do the job no problem and that the problems you are complaining about, from behaviour to CfE. well they would feal with that's easily. I had a revealing chat recently with a colleague who has been in the job about five minutes but who was raging about being overlooked for promotion for this meant that she was "never going to get out of the classroom". Unbelievable, but all too common.

13. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Thank you for your good wishes. I'll visit here occasionally to remind myself why I left a job I used to enjoy! Time to tick my own boxes instead of other people's

14. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

I was also in middle management. I officially retired in August. Only now am I beginning to feel normal.

Everything that you've said applies to me - that plus the stress of trying to protect my staff from our SLT. I reached the stage where I thought that I was going to start screaming the next time a senior staff member tried to con a classroom teacher into doing something because it was the 'collegiate' thing to do.

I agreed to go on the local supply list, since I've gone slightly early and have taken a reduction. That and the fact that I won't get my state pension for a good while - I have some repairs and whatnot I need to get done around the house, so a bit of supply will come in handy...but at least I'll no longer have to deal with most of the bull. (Yes, I'm a greedy so-and-so.) I've promised myself and my spouse I'll only do a couple of days here and there - and I might not even do that if I find it too stressful.

I had various physical symptoms all through the summer hols. My GP said it was work-related stress, exacerbated by trying to get everything in apple pie order before I finished. Just getting over it now.

Anyway, welcome to retirement when it comes!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

I hope you have a long and happy retirement. I think it will take me a little while to slow down too. Supply will be an option but to tell you the truth I don't know if I will take that route. Other opportunities are already appearing and they look like way more fun!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Enjoy your retirement. Don't get stressed reading everyone else's posts. Teachers moaning is a release mechanism for stress and frustration. Supply work is no picnic but at this stage you can virtually pick your school due to the shortages.

bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  17. Marisha

Thank you. :) And you. IQUOTE]Supply will be an option but to tell you the truth I don't know if I will take that route. Other opportunities are already appearing and they look like way more fun![/QUOTE]
    Go for it! :)

bigjimmy2 and AckyWacky like this.
  18. Marisha

Thank you. :)

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  19. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Can I join in this "happy retirement" congrats-fest?! :)

Marisha and AckyWacky like this.
  20. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Feel free, bigjimmy! Can you go soon? :)

bigjimmy2 likes this.