1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drop in numbers!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by THUNDERCATS, Nov 20, 2011.

1. THUNDERCATS

THUNDERCATS New commenter

To all!
    I am putting a message out there to see how other schools in terms of their uptake of A Level Drama. My current Year 12 class consists of 4 pupils!!!! This is a significant drop from two years ago when there were 15!! I have been thinking about why I have little numbers- is it the delivery of GCSE? The reluctanct approach to written work after studying GCSE (Edexcel)? The current economic climate and fear from parents that their child won't survive in the working world with a Drama A Level?? Because remember Drama is a fluffy subject!!!!
    As far as I am aware I haven't changed my approach! I've tried to create and use interesting Schemes of work (as far as time allows!). Provide informative leaflets about the life skills their child will gain etc etc! I was gutted when this week I had an Open Evening and only four students from a GCSE class came to find out about A Level drama! There is no one else interested! Science, Maths etc were inundated!! Is this a reflection of the times or just my teaching?
    Have your numbers increased or decreased? I have two Year 11 classes and two Year 10 classes so GCSE is still popular! Does anybody want to share with me any changes in their school intake for Drama A Level or shall I quit now!!
    A very passionate yet now depressed HoD!!!

2. I definitely think there's a parental fear of them doing drama in the current climate. We're finding that at GCSE. My colleague was talking to two year 9 students about the potential of doing GCSE drama and they were really unsure about doing it as they were saying 'what will we do with drama in the future?'.

I also think that the heavy written element at GCSE Edexcel is a factor. They write more at GCSE (the good ones - the potential A level kids) than they do at AS or A2. It's this element of the course that's making me wonder about moving to another board as I just feel it's massively time consuming.

My numbers will be down this year as there are some who are heading elsewhere for BTECs in PA, some who are leaving school for different reasons and an awful lot in my GCSE class this year who wouldn't be capable of the requirements of the A level.

3. There's been a slight drop in AS for me - last year I had 18 and this year I've got 12. However, there are LOADS of students really interested in AS for next year....out of my Y11 group of 18; there are 12 who are putting it down as a choice (provisionally) and that's without any external students picking up Drama!!
    As for numbers at GCSE; I have 18 at Y11 this year, 15 at Y10 (first year GCSE) and 17 at Y9 (first year GCSE)....so, for a department of one; I'm doing ok. I've been told that if I don't get a minimum of 10 students at AS next year then I'm not allowed to run the course.....

4. I had a couple of bumper years for A level and GCSE, and foolishly accepted a cut in KS3 Drama provision in order to teach the increased KS4 and 16+.

Then, when the lean years came and my A-Level and GCSE groups were fewer, my job was put to part time as they refused to give back the KS3 classes I had given over.
    I took redundancy and a payout after it all went very sour
    Be warned :)

5. I do think there's a natural fluctuation from year to year, which may be all this is. As I say, there are lots of external reasons, plus the coincidence that my current Y11 aren't very strong as a whole, why our AS number are likely to be a bit lower this year. The year after looks a lot stronger. May also be down to the catchment of your school and the type of parents you get and how likely they are to support drama. I wouldn't worry unduly or beat yourself up about it.