1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drop in grades for C2 and C4?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by plum321, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Does anyone else find that their students results in c2 and c4 are much lower than the other modules?
    Our results for the past few years have given 'U' shaped graphs for c2 and c4 ie the students can either 'do it' or not with very little in the middle, whereas the other modules give negative gradient graphs showing more can do it than not. What's going wrong with these 2 modules?
    This for my sins is my one of my performance management targets, to analyse, report back and hopefully improve results for these 2 modules.
    Any help/advise welcome!

2. Does anyone else find that their students results in c2 and c4 are much lower than the other modules?
    Our results for the past few years have given 'U' shaped graphs for c2 and c4 ie the students can either 'do it' or not with very little in the middle, whereas the other modules give negative gradient graphs showing more can do it than not. What's going wrong with these 2 modules?
    This for my sins is my one of my performance management targets, to analyse, report back and hopefully improve results for these 2 modules.
    Any help/advise welcome!

3. I think the results you have for s1 are the results we get for c2 because we drum into them that they don't want to have to retake s1 as they don't do it again, so I think they concentrate on that one and run out of steam/time for c2, that's certainly what they tell me. No matter how much I tell them A levels are not the same as GCSE's ie that they can't coast and still do well, some just can't bring themselves to believe me. They then learn that I'm always right the hard way!!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

With our Year 12 last year we spent lesson time with them covering revision for C1 rather than moving onto the summer modules (this was planned due to poor C1 results the previous year).
    This left us tight for time on S1 and C2, meaning that revision was left more to the students and results were affected accordingly. The OCR MEI C2 exam was particularly early.
    Some of our students ended up taking 4 modules on one day due to the timing of modules. They did not do as well as expected on these modules.