1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I would have thought half a dozen Olympic standard clay pigeon shooters would have enjoyed the challenge of shooting this thing down.
    I am surprised that the airports do not have something in place to deal with drones, it’s not as though they did not know the hazard.

2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I believe the problem is that shooting down a drone over a populated area carries the risk of damage to innocent people and/or their property.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes, but an airport with no planes moving is about as empty a place as you can imagine!

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I can appreciate shooting bullets is not a good idea but shot would dissipate over a distance and firing up into the airport grounds should reduce the risk also the shooter would not fire unless they had a clear shot.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

They have been adamant that it' not terror-related. If they thought that it was, and announced the fact, imagine the panic that might have ensued.

border_walker likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It is not as easy as one may think. Both finding and/or tracking a drone in a highly congested electromagnetic spectrum such as around an airport and town can be very hit and miss even with the best equipment. A drone may operate on a common frequency with thousands of other devices, some of which may be important, and the authorities need to be very cautious about jamming even if they can identify a specific device. If a drone is constantly switched off and transported before being flown again (or the operator moves around) it would become exceptionally difficult to trace.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  7. Oscillatingass

Only saying what I have heard from a bloke on tv claiming to be an expert. I guess if the target drone is at a certain height and the wind blew it a certain way perhaps it is by no means certain the wreckage would crash in a safe space. If there is any risk the authorities always err on the side of caution.

8. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

There would be no need to panic? It's not like they're Predator drones.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

A number of bored teenagers have caused havoc with their ability to hack into sophisticated computer systems - they were difficult to identify and capture, too.

Not sure the police and military can be blamed here.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Someone's got a taste of power!

12. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Does anyone know if nomad was able to fly off to his destination ( I mean in an aircraft not does he have wings ) ;):)

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Or it's attracted more nutters to have a go.

14. Oscillatingass

I wonder if it is that Momentum lot?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Must be so frustrating to folks wanting to travel...

16. Oscillatingass

Absolutely. You cant do much about bad weather but I guess you would think something should be done about some nerdy tawt with a grudge.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nomad flew out of Southend -should be OK

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Unless he's on a plane with a couple of hen nights or stag dos on it!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Is Winchester cathedral a popular tourist destination then?

20. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have watched this story with amazement. Amazement at our Government and security services ineptitude at dealing with a bit of plastic in the air. OK........... so I have seen the video of what one can do to an aircraft wing. But for goodness sake? Letting our 2nd busiest airport go into shutdown for over a day because of one? Many good suggestions have been cited how to blast the thing out of the sky or render it inoperable. Which should have been acted upon sooner.
    Over 100,000 people have been affected. Average delay time? Lets say very conservatively 1 day. 100,000 x 24 (hours) = 2.4 million. You need to live to over 110 years of age to clock 1 million hours (a very very scary statistic if ever there was one which underlines how precious time is!) Wasted hours. So by that argument 5 years is peanuts, a Life (ie lock up until you die) sentence doesn't actually nearly 'compensate.' Yet........ 3 lifetimes disruption vs 200+ dead potentially if one of those goes down a jet engine. I don't envy the people having to make these sorts of decisions on whether to open.
    What is clear is legislation and technology needs to catch up with the times and drones like it or not are probably where the Internet was in the mid 1990s now. Give it 20 years and most of us will be commuting to work on bigger ones. Failure of legislation to catch up with the web has led to some catastrophic breaches of justice.
    As to who is responsible............ I have several theories. A spoilt teenager would be one. (early Xmas present, LA that breaks up pre 21st?) Eco protesters would be another but why as has been said would they not have revealed their intentions? Terrorists, no, bit too brazen for that. Which leaves ideas like Russian interference and yes the good old conspiracy theory (eg. heres one day of an airport shut, what would several weeks look like post no deal Brexit say due to legislature failure.) What is clear here too is we need far better ways of tracing these things, maybe a GPS tracker fitted as standard.
    Lastly.........I hope you get to your destination Nomad and can utterly sympathise with your frustration. However, if we lose the ability to make a bit of light at even the more desperate situations we are in a very dark place, while I sympathise with your view look at the Like ratio of tens to the meme and 1 to yours. Light must always always prevail.

mathsmutt likes this.