1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Maybe the batteries ran down ...

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just had a look at the departure board from Gatwick

Planes are now flying but virtually every flight is delayed and some are still being cancelled. Some of the delays are up to 8 hours.

3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I'm not in any way a drone expert, but there are certain features of all this that are very puzzling.

I find it surprising that the perpetrators have not been found. Given the resources that have been allocated, how can such little progress have been made? What good is sending in the army, with their military grade equipment, if it's defeated so easily? Given the failures so far, how can we be confident in the official version of events? What evidence is there that it's eco-warriors? I'd like to see this evidence.

The anti-drone measures available these days appear to be extensive, and anyone taking an interest in this story is most likely much more informed now. Why haven't these been used? If there was talk later about shooting the drones down, why wasn't this considered earlier? Was it hoped that the problem would go away, or that the culprits would be found by other means?

In light of all this, maybe the fingers do point to some bizarre conspiracy theory. I'm usually the first to be dismissive of such theories, as apparent mysteries are almost always far more plausibly explained by more banal means. This case however really is rather strange, with many unanswered questions.

mathsmutt, InkyP and BetterNow like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Aliens ?

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

I was thinking more of Russians...

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Russian Aliens then

Dragonlady30 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

or Jose Mourinho - he drones on a lot

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If it is a bored teenager then our police force and military have not covered themselves with glory.

InkyP and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

You're on form today. It must be the end of term.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Personally I think it's those Russian Meerkats - revenge for being ridiculed for those Ads they do

suem75 likes this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I wonder why they have re-opened today? What has changed? Surely the drone could reappear at any moment which I presume was the rationale for closing all day yesterday. Has there been some kind of secret communication between the perpetrators and the authorities?

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They have the perimeter staked out.

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Wasn't it "staked out" yesterday? I am genuinely confused by all this but delighted Gatwick is now open.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm joking - there are not enough police officers with jobs in London to stake out Gatwick

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm more pleased I'm not flying out of there this week.

It's bad enough at the best of times.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The world! Ah ah ah ah ah (stroking my furry white cat).

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It doesn't require police officers to stake out the perimeter - patrols by security guards employed by Gatwick, with radio contact to the police should they see anyone operating a drone would have sufficed.

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Could they not employ radio jammers on the drone frequencies?

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If I correctly understood the expert on the lunchtime news, drones use the same frequencies as broadband, and frequently hop from one frequency to another, making jamming extremely difficult.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If so ~ and I don't doubt that ~ then I suspect we'll see legislation about drone manufacture coming in soon. Just speculation but they can't afford for this to happen again. If eco-activists cotton on... well they could shut down most major airports with just a guy.