1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It don't take a lot of working out that if you don't have enough coppers to cope with incidences like this, you're going to end up in **** streets.

Home Secretaries for whom this most fundamental and obvious fact is elusive, tend to get promoted and where does that end up?

By the way, @nomad, did you pack a paddle for your journey in case you end up in **** creek, or take the Home Office advice you wouldn't need one, along with the expectation of it being unlikely your flight would be delayed, since our government is on top of such things.

In all my life, I don't believe I've ever discussed the state of the nation with a more gullible and blind crowd of the sort we now have trying to engage in politics.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Not nice, dukie. Nomad, like thousands of other people, is having his holiday wrecked by what'ii probably turn out to be a couple of spoilt and totally selfish pair of teenage brats. Is now the right time to take him to task?

No.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There is never a wrong time to regret voting conservative.

4. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Morning papers are blaming eco warriors for the drones. Could be making it up of course. I do feel for everyone trying to get away. I hope you can find a way to fly out Nomad. It seems bizarre that we can't divert some flights via other airports.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think there's more to it than a couple of teenage brats. Could be wrong.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When they catch these people - I hope there is a drone available that can remove their testicles.

or they can do a million hours community service sweeping the runway at Gatwick.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Long experience of staff meetings has taught me that some people don't appreciate that there is a time and place for everything. :(

Still, flights at Gatwick have at last restarted in the last hour. However, with the culprit(s) still at large, let's hope that the drones don't reappear.

Good luck to Nomad and everyone else who has had their travel plans disrupted.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If I were the person (or persons) responsible for the drones - I would be very worried because no expense will be spared in tracking them down

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Manston was closed a few years ago - a bad mistake, in my opinion - and though there is a campaign to reopen it (& use it mostly for freight), the owner (Anne Gloag of the Stagecoach group) wants to build houses etc on it.

10. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

It's my local airport, and it is lovely! I hope all goes smoothly @nomad and that you enjoy your holiday.

nizebaby likes this.
  11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

So it's unlikely to be a teenager/individual due to the nature of the drone. Terrorist groups have been ruled out. Eco-warriors (surely just a specific terrorist group?) would be publicising their actions so I'm ruling them out. My money's on the Russians testing a new way of destabilising a foreign country's economy. Putin's not happy with the stalling over Brexit.
    (Sorry to nomad and any others that are affected by this... I know a conspiracy theory isn't helpful, but they can be fun!)

nomad, nizebaby and BetterNow like this.
  12. FrankWolley

Apparent the CAA (Britain's Civil Aviation Authority) decided this was an 'exceptional circumstance' - nothing to do with the EU as some (fake news supporting Brexiteers) have said.

13. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

Nomad. That meme suggested that TM was operating the drones over Gatwick as way to distract the papers from her ongoing farrago. It wasn't actually very funny but it is merely looking for a light side.

Have a good holiday.

A birching and the video on you tube would be a good punishment for owning a annoying drone.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Whoever has done this, the actual terrorists, Russians, random nutcases now know how well it works and how powerless we seem to have been to deal with it. I suspect (hope) that the Powers That Be have been doing more that we don't know about yet.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

[​IMG]

CheeseMongler and lanokia like this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I am expecting that, if caught, there will be some sort of over the top legal reaction foisted on the perps. The law is inadequate in this case. Somebody, whoever is either behind the drone flying, or doing it, has seen that this minor legal infringement (no doubt with the legislation diluted by slipping something into the pockets of the appropriate MPs) causes enormous disruption. The "law is an ass"; can't remember who said that, but its very apt. Still I expect some police cars will now be equipped with anti-drone weapons to clutter up their boots with more junk.

18. FrankWolley

Hopefully if the perpetrator doesn't get more than the 5 years sentence, those who have lost out will take civil actions against him/her/them for damages and bankrupt them.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Gatwick airport authority for starters

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And I doubt that some maladjusted teenager could have resisted the temptation to continue the disruption this morning. Someone has clearly calculated that stopping now - at least until the next time - is likely to make detection impossible.