1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It's illegal to fly a drone with a camera within 150m of a Congested area without permission from the CAA - which is any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes.’ This covers pretty much all places people live, including most public parks.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The way I am feeling right now, I would like to see them charged and convicted of attempted murder of every passenger due to fly during the period the airport was shut down. That'd be some 10,000 or more.

It would never happen, of course, but 5 years jail is obviously not a suitable deterrent so lets up it to 20+. Either that or make it a terrorist offence with a similar jail term.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

5 years, they have been saying.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Again thank you. Really appreciated. Really!

People on this forum (bar one or two) are wonderful. My last holiday (October) was cancelled because there wasn't enough water in the Rhine. So much for German efficiency. This one is just a chance to get away before medical insurance goes through the roof on account of my age and medical conditions.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Hope you get away for Christmas, @nomad.
    Keep us updated.

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

WAYYY too short!!!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On the BBC news. Flights diverted to Paris!!!! *** Are there no other airports in the UK? There must be a dozen around London including Manston which, I believe, has the longest runway in Europe. They can even bang down Jumbos at provincial backwaters like Birmingham!

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you Dunty. :)

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Very valid point.

https://www.supportmanstonairport.org/about/

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's probably a military grade drone operated offshore.

Or some kids messing about.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's frightening to realise how easy it is to bring the country to a standstill. One airport today - tomorrow?

12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The easiest solution to drones that are interfering with aircraft flights is to deploy a bigger, better drone dragging a wire net to drop onto the offending machine that will tangle with the rotors and make it drop out of the sky. Finding the person responsible is a secondary consideration when thousands of people are affected. You also need all drones / components to have unique ids that can be traced back to the purchaser of a flying licence/machine.

nizebaby likes this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Have the drones been spotted again?

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup.

About 9pm this evening.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who wants to wager who the next Home Secretary will be?

This government is an absolute farce.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ooh! Do tell how the Home Secretary could have prevented this?

You are clearly an expert (and not one of the baying masses).

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Photo51 likes this.
  18. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

So sorry Nomad. Hope you manage your holiday. My friend's son is en route to Gatwick from Japan. She is in a tizz as she doesn't know where he will land. Just watching the news now. So many spoilt holidays. :(:mad:

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you. Appreciated. :)

I hope your friend's son lands safely and is reunited with his family without problems.

It seems that other airports are being used to their maximum, including other UK airports and even Paris, coupled with cross-Channel transport propvided.

That said, my holiday is just 1/100,000th of the total problem. As I noted earlier, the impact of this on EVERY traveller's insurance premiums and the cost of airline tickets as the various agencies attempt to recoup costs will be significant. Not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of distressed children, babies, mothers and families caught up in this disaster who have been waiting at Gatwick for the past 18 hours.

Those who wish to make political capital out of this melee should be ashamed!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

monicabilongame, blazer and nomad like this.