1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Some of the drone sightings which kept Gatwick Airport on lockdown for 36 hours may have been reports of Sussex Police's own aircraft, the force's highest-ranking officer admitted yesterday.

:rolleyes:

Police received 115 reports of sightings in the area surrounding the airfield, including 92 confirmed by Sussex Police's Chief Constable Giles York as coming from "credible people".

But the force launched its own drone to search for what officers believed at the time to be malicious aircraft deliberately being flown above the runway in the early hours of December 19 to intentionally force Gatwick to shut down..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...gs-may-have-police-equipment-chief-constable/

Sussex Police's chief constable has said he feels "really sorry" for the couple who were held for 36 hours over the Gatwick Airport drones chaos. :rolleyes:o_O

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46709353

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

They police's apology was pretty poor. 'Sorry. But it would have been even worse to be released as still under investigation.' My already terrible opinion of them has not changed. Lots of things could have been worse but that doesn't mean that their botched 'investigation' was anything but appalling.

nomad likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wondered if the Chief Constable's comment that he was "convinced the grounds for arrest were well-founded".was actually indicating that the police are pretty sure that the Crawley couple are guilty but that they did not have the evidence needed to charge them. It otherwise seems an odd thing to say.

nomad likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Apparently some of the drones seen over Gatwick may have been police drones up looking for the reported drones...

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Maybe it wasn't "drones"... but the drone of Brexit bores in the local area...

No?

Ok I know my coat is here somewhere.

BetterNow likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think that is wonderful... sums up our modern age so well.

Ah yes coat... sorry... got it...

7. Doitforfree

Far more likely that he was trying to make it sound as if they were less incompetent than they actually are. I know I'm bitter and twisted but all my recent experience of the police is that they are hopelessly incompetent, chaotic, and too convinced of their own rightness to be effective. And suddenly nice when they realise they've acted stupidly and don't want you to make a complaint

BetterNow likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

That'd be right.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It may just be me, but I found the Chief Constable's interview on R4 this morning truly depressing - the police clearly don't have a clue and all he wanted to do was try to cover his (& the force's) backside, whilst spreading suggestions to cause more confusion (the 'police drones' comment, for example - it didn't sound as if they were used, just that they might be...)

nomad likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Then please get it and leave.

I just hate political grandstanding especially when the drones have nothing to do with May, Corbun, Trump, Brexit, Universal Credit or the size of Burton's Wagon Wheels.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

See post #320

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How has your trip been?

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Really enjoyable, thanks Lan.

Quiet time of year in Malta but, despite the shortened days, well worth it.

I did, thank you. Eventually when the Cathedral opened after the Christmas break (I had visited on more than one occasion but the Offertaory was closed). Well worth the visit. Many thanks. Caravaggio's use of light is amazing!

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Better be... going there ourselves in October.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

The police's comments are pretty much standard.

"There was insufficient evidence to secure a conviction" is their (and the CPS's) favourite. How I loathe those weasel words. Upon hearing that phrase, I usually think "Well that might well be because the accused is completely innocent".

The police and the CPS know that mud sticks. You never hear them say "All the evidence suggested X was innocent".

There's nothing stopping the police charging anyone with anything, no matter how ludicrous. Assuming there isn't a grave miscarriage of justice, the police and CPS can come out with their standard line, and the wrongly accused ends up with their life turned upside-down, their reputation in tatters, hounded by the media, quite possibly jobless, etc.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Well at least this particular guy knows that his employer knows he could not have done it as he was at work at the time.

InkyP and nomad like this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Except the Police chap said that just as he was at work, it didn't mean he wasn't involved...:confused:

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The BBC pointed out that it was quite possible to operate a drone via the Internet from the other side of the globe.

border_walker likes this.