1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

drones over gatwick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 20, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

How can people be such stupid selfish idiots?

les25paul, catmother, nomad and 3 others like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If and when they get caught i hope they get the book thrown at them.

Perhaps they would like to explain to all those people who were affected why they did it ?

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

It' probably a 15-yr-old boy who never comes out of his bedroom and doesn't listen to the news.

I wonder why it hasn't been jammed.

mothorchid and towncryer like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I hope they catch those responsible. Selfish *****.

EmanuelShadrack and nizebaby like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As from next year there is a register of anyone who flies drones.Trouble is that wont stop the idiots who think its a Laugh and fly them illegally withough care or even maliciously..
    In the end they could end up banning drones and enforce massive fines on folks caught flying them in 'wrong places' I beleievethey are also going to enforce the need for a drone license before you can freely fly one.

BetterNow and nizebaby like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've just read the latest and they said that it could take days to sort out the backlog.

Some time ago I saw some bird of prey had been trained to take drones out of the sky. It was amazing!! I wonder if it would be any use in these circumstances?

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

The army has been brought in to help. Good.

towncryer likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bet it's an eco-protest group...

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am supposed to be flying from Gatwick tomorrow. Waiting for news.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

They've just said on R4 that as this is an 'unusual event', airlines are not compelled legally to pay compensation for missed flights/holidays, or for taxi rides etc. if they are taken to another airport when returning to the UK. .

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There's various things they could use. The bird of prey is at the end of the video.

mathsmutt and Dragonlady30 like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I heard an expert on radio laugh at that suggestion today - apparently these are industrial size drones, not the type one can buy at a toy or model shop.

13. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Yet another example of indecisiveness from our government.

A few of these could have solved this problem within an hour or two:

[​IMG]

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Fingers crossed, but it doesn't look like things will be sorted quickly.

I don't know anything about drones, but this has been going on for nearly 24 hous now. Can they really stay up that long, or is some group sending them up in relays. If so, can they really not be traced when returning to earth?

And I don't understand the worry about stray bullets if the police tried to shoot them down. If that is a danger, someone needs to invent a gun to fire several gallons of that slime which kids today love so much into the things, to jam the rotors.

mathsmutt, nomad and Dragonlady30 like this.
  15. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Perhaps the Civil Airports Authority need to be equipped with ack-ack?

blazer likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Best of luck!

nomad likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but the birds carry screwdrivers

mathsmutt and silkywave like this.
  18. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Is this really all it takes to bring a major international airport to a halt? Are the authorities pussyfooting around here?

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is there any good reason why the general public should be allowed to purchase drones? Serious question, as there might be. Not being the least interested in owning one, I can only perceive them as a source of nuisance in the hands of the general public, but I may be missing something.

nizebaby likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wonder if the truth of the matter is that airports like Gatwick have just hoped that the problem would go away instead of investing in technology to solve the problem?

If the airlines end up having to pay hundreds of thousands in compensation which they manage to claim from Gatwick, the airport may think again. But as so often happens, the EU regulations which so many think are the bees' knees, actually suggest that what has happened is an "extraordinary circumstance" under EU Regulation 261 and therefore passengers cannot claim compensation.