1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Driving students in own car?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by amrh13, Oct 16, 2019.

1. amrh13

amrh13 New commenter

I am wanting to take 4 students to a team competition and school have suggested I drive them in my own car and they'll pay expenses and business insurance. Is this normal? Has anyone else had experience of doing this? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Will you be the only staff member?

How old are they?

What does your school's Safeguarding Policy say about this?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have you checked how much extra business insurance will be?

There have been one or two occasions when I took kids in my own car. Once was an emergency when the coach company took the kids to a trip on a 53 seater but only sent a 50 seater to pick them up!

Another time I took 2 yr9s to a series of events at a university. I got specific written permission of both sets of parents and spoke with them face to face. We also agreed that I would drop one girl home first and that the other parents (who I knew from previous events) were happy for me to transport their daughter solo. They were both very well behaved girls.

I would think very seriously before doing this.

4. amrh13

amrh13 New commenter

I will be the only staff member. They are 14-18 years old. The safeguarding policy doesn't mention it.

There will be a letter sent to parents detailing that I will be driving and asking parents for consent for this.
    The four students are all very well behaved.

I think the business insurance will only be around £10 for the day.

5. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

What does the school policy say about taking a mixed party are you male/female are the students male /female.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Check policies as suggested; then do a risk assessment (either on paper or in your head). Consider things like minor traffic accident/puncture/whatever. If you are a few miles from school, rescue by colleagues can be arranged; if 100 miles away, not so easy.
    Ensure you get your full 45p/mile as approved by HMRC.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It’s the HT’s discretion- AND you must tell them- personally, if a teacher is driving pupils to event in their personal car, then ideally a second member of staff goes with them in the car. I’ve always operated this way- got to keep yourself and the school covered.
    We have a mini bus at the school which a number of colleagues are insured to drive (all SLT and a number of teaching & support colleagues) - we always use this when participating in small events- large school trips, we hire coaches.
    Under no circumstances should pupils be placed into a taxi or a car WITHOUT a member of staff. This is not only a safeguarding issue, but this can be construed as gross misconduct and lead to dismissal and a NCTL hearing.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm guessing you've seen the prohibition order last week barring a headteacher for exactly that reason, or just coincidence? Either way, as you say, something you can, and this head did, get banned for (albeit this head had done some other serious safeguarding misconduct too). The barring panel was not impressed by the head's explanation that he was following the taxi in his own car.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s__Neil_John_-_S_of_S_decision__Redacted_.pdf