1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Driving in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The way the locals drive their LandCruisers (or should that be "stations"?) around Qatar's capital adds a whole new meaning to the old phrase from the Book of Common Prayer, "The quick and the dead". This morning Mrs Hippo and I saw yet another horrific accident on the way back from the school in Doha where they speak English.

2. I fear its going to get worse as the economy goes into overdrive and we get nearer 2022. Its absolute madness. 'Stations" go wrong way, up no entries, drive over islands, aggressively throw their weight about close up to you with customary flashing lights as if size gave them ownership of the roads. Until the 3 'E's'' are fully understood and implemented we will sadly continue to witness injuries and fatalities. EDUCATION, ENGINEERING AND ENFORCEMENT.

3. the hippo

About 3,000 people are killed every year on British roads. There are about twice as many cars in India as there are in the UK, so you would expect that in India there would be about 6,000 fatalities every year. In fact, about 60,000 people are killed every year on India's roads, an appalling carnage. Our apartment block is in an area full of Indians and most of the people I see driving on the roads of Doha are either Indians or Pakistanis. Having said that, the LandCruiser I saw in this morning's smash up was driven by - yes, you have guessed it - a Qatari.
    Recently Mrs Hippopotamus and I had the good fortune to visit Malaysia, a most interesting and beautiful country. The driving in Kuala Lumpur seemed to be very different to what I experience every day in Doha: calm, organised, law-abiding and a lot less stressful. Malaysian drivers even use their indicators when changing lanes. How strange!

4. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

My personal favourite is the 'drive right up behind you frantically flashing my headlights in an attempt to get you to move over even though I can clearly see there is a big lorry next to you and no space for you to go anywhere, whilst texting on my blackberry and shouting at the 3 toddlers who are bouncing about the back of the car without seat belts'.
    I'm also a big fan of the 'driving along the Dukhan highway after dark at 140km/h without any lights on in my black station so I won't get caught by the speed cameras'.
    Remember "Death is Fastest, Thank God for Road Safety!"

5. the hippo

orangepatriot, great to hear from you! How are things in Dukhan, apart from the driving?

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I've not driven in Qatar, but it does sound a tad scary.
    After 6 years of driving hell in Istanbul, I was quite pleasantly suprised by things in Muscat, obviously there are some ***, but most seem to be quite calm and courteous; people give way, horns are not tooted 3 microseconds after a light has changed and drivers are occasionally even inclined to use the white lines painted on car parks as a guide to where to leave their car.
    Not like the 'premature ejaculation drivers' (love that Ian Drury line!) I have encountered <strike>in Dubai</strike> elsewhere.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

That certainly sounds familiar, but I've never noticed any shouting. [​IMG]

8. Saw another bad accident en route to Wakra, 15kms from Doha. As to why the authrorities who can spend a fortune on skyscrapers and stadiums can't invest in Road safety is not good to say the least. The costs of accidents far outweighs any investment on driver education and road safety. Incidentally, hopped into a passing car as is customary the other day lift from Wakra to Doha for 5QR. Upon disembarking noticed all 4 tyres almost bald. The *** driver was doing speeds of up to 100kms an hour. Never get into any taxi or car without checking tyre tread again. Bring on the MOT checks I say too.