1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Driving Convictions hindering jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Deans_Body, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Deans_Body

Deans_Body New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm a trainee teacher (GTP), applying for my first position at the minute.
    But my mum has scared me, apparently she saw something on TV about teachers not getting jobs if they had ANY criminal convictions (including driving bans).
    When I was 17 (10 years ago) I got banned from driving (we all make mistakes).
    Now I'm worrying that my little mistake 10 years ago will stop me from continuing in the career that I love.
    I'm hoping it was just my mum misunderstanding, and the article was about teachers not declaring convictions and subsequently not getting the job. But any help or advice on the matter would greatly help.
    Many thanks
    Dean

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you currently banned? Are you a P.E. teacher or in another area where you might be expected to drive the minibus?
    Those two Yesses might have an impact. If not, then almost certainly not - as long as you declare it. Read what I say here: Frightened to apply for a new job because of my caution
    Best Sunday wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. Deans_Body

Deans_Body New commenter

Not currently banned, I now hold a full licence. And its primary not pe.

Thanks for the info.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then I reckon that you're just fine, so don't worry.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. If it was the same programme I saw, it was reckless and irresponsible journalism. Sensationalist to the bloody core. My mother (manager of a charity that works with vulnerable adults) and I fell about laughing and then got cross. I used to work in retail and we got the odd teenage shoplifter. Every so often the mothers who came to collect them would ask Mr Policeman if it would hurt their chances at getting a job as the want to work in childcare. Mr Policeman would always say no, so long as they never do it again, young lady.