1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Driving Assessment-Help!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Marsh90, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Marsh90

Marsh90 New commenter

Hi guys. I know this has nothing to do with teaching but I know a lot of you have such an extensive background that some of you may be able to help! I have a new job, and I have to have a driving assessment because I will be transporting children. I was wondering how this usually works? What's involved? I've seen lots of things about doing it in a car or a simulator. I'm so nervous about things that I know nothing about- it's so silly!
    If you could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance ❤

2. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

My daughter ferries children around in a school minibus. She had to go on a two day course to obtain a licence to do this. I believe this is mandatory.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Several possibilities here.
    (1) In most cases a minibus will need a D1 on your driving licence. If you passed your car test before (I think) 1997 you'll have D1 automatically; otherwise you will need to take a formal driving test. (And if you intend towing a large trailer as well, you'll need to take another driving test with the trailer after you've passed the minibus test.)
    (2) Some minibuses are light enough (3.5 tonnes loaded, or 4.25 tonnes loaded if it has equipment for disabled passengers) for D1 not to be necessary, and you can drive on your car licence. The regulations are very complex and you need to ensure your transport manager gets it right for you. If you are not licensed to drive the minibus, it's you that are committing the offence. One risk is that if the minibus is loaded with a senior rugby team, for example, its gross weight may be over the limit; that risk won't be present for a primary school.
    (3) Many organisations run their own familiarisation and assessment processes for minibus drivers. You have to ask the organisation what their procedure is.
    (4) Many others use the MIDAS scheme which involves theory training (death by PowerPoint) and a multiple-choice exam, familiarisation and training drives, and then a driving assessment by a MIDAS-qualified assessor. My recent MIDAS training involved three or four two-hour drives and a two-hour driving assessment. The training was really helpful and supportive, provided by a police-trained driver with a PCV and LGV licence, intended to ensure I passed the assessment; the aim being to be safe, legal and comfortable for passengers.