1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drivers could be charged £1,000 to park at work as part of new tax to tackle pollution

Discussion in 'Education news' started by thekillers1, Jan 19, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Buy your yellow vest now.

3. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Someone at work got the car locked in by the janitors. She wrote an indignant email to all staff, it was only 7pm that she had been locked in. I wrote an indignant email back, she only stays 200 yards from the school.
    Cars cost. The cost should be borne by those who use them. I stay about 12 miles from work. If I was charged for parking at work I would have factored that in to my decision to live here. I am already toying with the idea of an electric bike to get me to work, if I had to pay for parking, £1000 would cover the cost of the bike.
    We are shafting the environment.

sparkleghirl and dunnocks like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So what would I do if I had to drive to school to work (I normally did), and was going to be charged £££ to park there? Simple, I'd find a residential street nearby (even 10 or 15 minutes walk away would do fine) and park there every day... And I bet I wouldn't be the only one. ;)

lanokia, hammie, agathamorse and 5 others like this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

where I live, schools already charge teachers for parking. And the school I am currently at has no parking at all. Teachers shouldn't be driving cars, anyway, there is almost always public transport to schools, its how the students get there.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Although if you were in many large cities that would often be impossible, every school round my way is in a residents parking zone and teachers wouldn't get a permit.

7. FrankWolley

It's certainly true that in some places (London most obviously) that wouldn't be possible, but there, and in some other big cities, public transport is good enough to make driving a poor option anyway. But if this type of tax catches on, then workplaces in other towns/cities will follow, and unless they introduce permit parking (unpopular - they're trying to extend the zones in a town near me ATM), then street parking will be the answer for many...

8. Rott Weiler

Yes, everywhere will be different. I'm in London and have seen many consultations on RPZs. What tends to happen is people don't want one. Then "commuters" - teachers for example - start parking in the streets, often squeezed out by RPZs being introduced in neighbouring areas, and residents can't park themselves. Then they want one. You get a sort of domino effect, once adjacent areas have an RPZ you end up needing one in your area too.

It's true that public transport in London is great if your school is there and you live there. But many teachers chose not to live in London and whether (eye-wateringly expensive) railway commuting is a viable option all depends where you live.

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.
  9. FrankWolley

Yes, London is difficult. I commuted both by train and by car when working there (car because the schools involved weren't near the underground system). I'd suggest that schemes such as the one proposed could actually make recruitment of teachers more difficult in some cases, were some schools to start charging for parking.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The village I worked at had two buses, twice a week.

11. Rott Weiler

The Times headline makes it sound as if this is something new but the article confirms it's a power councils have had for some years. I remember the discussion when the power was first introduced. Quite a few councils considered it but hardly any introduced it. Concerns over make them uncompetitive as an area for new businesses to start up was a key issue. Maybe ever tightening finance and air pollution targets are prompting another look at it.

The charge is on the business/school anyway, not on the employee who parks. Employers can pass it on but the article says only 40% do. So a school/academy can't decide to introduce it all by themselves, it's local authority-wide decision by the council to impose a local tax. ***

I recall there were various practical issues about charging out to individual teachers. It would work OK if you had enough parking spaces for all your staff. But inner city schools rarely do, it's 'first come first served' often. So a school making a charge would be exposed to a claim from staff that it had a duty to make a parking space available to them. Not sure anyone really thought through the employment law aspects of that, but it was flagged as one issue.

***EDIT Any school or academy could charge its staff to park in the staff car park now if they want to. It's a completely separate issue from whether the council introduces a LA-wide local tax. No school is obliged to provide free staff parking. It wouldn't do much for their R&R though!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    JohnJCazorla and thekillers1 like this.
  12. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Strangely enough that's exactly what I did but most staff just paid for the car park.

FrankWolley likes this.
  13. gainly

gainly Established commenter

If only that was true. There is a primary school at the end of my road. There is complete chaos for about 30 minutes morning and afternoon as the children are dropped off or collected. I'm sure most of them must live within easy walking distance as there are at least three primary schools within a 10 minute walk.

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

road traffic is a terrible blight on our lives. Its awful when car driving is abused like this

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  15. thekillers1

I’ll bear that in mind if a teacher has to transport 90+ books and resources.

16. thekillers1

Parking discrimination here we come!

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The pupils live in the catchment area,I don't! No way I could ever afford to.

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I wonder if Prince Phillip will have to pay every time he parks his Range Rover?

BetterNow and thekillers1 like this.
  19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The majority of students will live close to their school and when the catchment area is a large one, will often as not lay on school buses for the students.

This is not, however, the case for teaching staff. In my last teaching job I would have had to get a bus to the station, catch a train halfway into London and catch another one out again, doing the same in reverse, if I hadn't driven - and there was no way I was going to do that with 3 sets of class books every night.

20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

[QUOTE="dunnocks, post: 12722793, member: 20026866]
    Teachers shouldn't be driving cars, .[/QUOTE]

In an ideal world, yes.
    But...……….
    I couldn't do my job without driving. One of my schools is not accessible by bus, or train. I also have far too many books/bags of resources to carry .

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.