1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drive a minibus

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Mat1990, Dec 5, 2011.

1. I am a 21 year old trainee sports teacher and consequently it would be really useful for future job prospects if I was qualified to drive minibuses.
    Can you tell me what I need to do to be able to drive minibuses?

2. I am a 21 year old trainee sports teacher and consequently it would be really useful for future job prospects if I was qualified to drive minibuses.
    Can you tell me what I need to do to be able to drive minibuses?

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Firstly, all you need to drive a mini bus is an ordinary car driving licence. However, your school, college or LEA that you work for, will require you to take a test of competence of some sort, which they would organise for you. I don't know what the current standard is that would be required because I got mine so long ago!
    There may also be a requirement from the college's insurance that drivers are over 25 or so, which I have seen.
    It would make a good question to ask at job interviews. You are keen to participate in out of school hours activities. You have a full, clean, driving licence (I hope you have). Does the school have access to a minibus for such activities and what would you need to do to be allowed to drive it? Sounds keen!

4. Here is a link to information that you might find useful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022619

5. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

When I was younger, I took the Local Authority test to drive the minibus and was given excellent advice by the examiner ,who in his main job was the mayor's chauffeur. "If they start messing about and shouting, stop the vehicle and tell them if they don't shut up they'll have to get out and walk"-advice which was presumably given to the mayor too.
    Even better advice, in my experience, is to avoid driving a minibus with students in it.

6. Our college requires a quick medical (blood pressure check and a few questions) before you can be authorised to drive. Fine if you are used to driving fairly large vehicles but not if you are only used to driving small stuff.

7. Hello I don't think that you can do this is you passed your car test after 1997. The DVLA changed the entitlements. I am a lady in my 30's but didn't learn to drive and pass until 2001.
    Most of my friends passed before 1997 and have much more entitlements on their licences.
    I am not sure but I think you will have to do another actual test (a PCV) to drive a minibus with more than 8 people.

8. In short...no, not without undertaking a test to add this entitlement to your car licence. This is because anyone pasing their car test after 1997 was not entitled to drive a minibus.
    There were exceptions if the bus is operated under a section 19 bus permit but this had restrictions such as the weight of the bus could be no more than 3.5T. Nowdays most 17 seat buses are over 3.5T.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I would seriously doubt that a 17 seat Transit minibus is over 3.5 tonnes in weight. However, the other information about date of passing test after 1997 is correct. It should show on your plastic photocard licence.