1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drinks

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jan 27, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My liquid diet consists of coffee and more coffee before I go to work, coffee throughout the day, then beer and finally wine.
    I wasn't always thus. In the earlier part of my life, I mostly drank tea.
    Once again, this Christmas just past, my sweetheart has reminded hereself that she likes Baileys. The dog is very partial to it too and pesters if there is the faintest snif of it uncorked in the house.
    I had to let my sweetheart know there was no way I was going to support her Baileys habit after Christmas. She fould a cheaper alternative, I think about half the cost, that she seems happy with and so does the dog.
    But I asked myself how difficult it would be to make it in house?
    According to the Internet, not at all, yet there didn't appear to be the definitive article anywhere I looked. The closest suggested a spoonful of instant coffee, a squirt of chocolate ice cream topping. some double cream and some whisky. How much of each wasn't clear.
    I gave it a shot, but I didn't have the icecream topping so I melted a couple of chuncks of 70% dark chocolate and added it to a pot of cream with a spoonful of instant coffee and what I'd guessed at a suitable amount of whisky,
    The tasting passed the dog test, but my sweetheart thought it was a bit strong and, I in turn, thought there was too much chocolate to pass it off easily as Baileys. This isn't to say it wasn't a very nice drink in it's own right if you like that sort of thing.
    Has anyone tried this themselves and fared better, or has a decent and affordable recipe for an alcoholic cocktail that will entertain my wife and my dog, and keep them away from the beer and wine that I prefer to drink?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I didn't think there was coffee and chocolate in Baileys. I thought it was just cream and whisky.
    Mrs909 has a liking for Baileys. We don't have it in that often, so we did once 'make' some, by adding a good slug of cream to some whisky. I vaguely remember it tasting amazing, but it was late in the evening and we'd both had far too much to drink already (this is before our daughter was born/incumbent, I hasten to add) so we probably weren't in the best state to make a sensible verdict.
    I have a mind to make spiced rum soon. A bottle of Havana Gold with all the requisite spices steeped in it in would, I'm sure, taste far superior to the spiced ones on the market (not a fan of Morgan's Spiced, although I do like a drop of Sailor Jerry).

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Bailey's is funny stuff.
    Occassionally I fancy a Bailey's on ice. First sip is lovely but by the end I find it quite sickly and regret having it.
    However, it makes a wonderful addition to creme brullee, especially if a layer of banana is put in teh bottom of the dish. Also lush on ice cream.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We made some for friends at Christmas - I didn't get to taste it because I was on the really strong painkillers for my ribs but according to Mr EG it was 'bloody good'. We used the Lorraine Pascale recipe. I can't find it written down anywhere and I have lost my scribbles but you can watch her making it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYj7TcURtwY
    Recipe starts at about 7:20.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It might last the evening out depending who's drinking it. Seriously, I'd guess it would keep for a few weeks in the fridge.
    I realised I made an error in my calculation statement. 2 cans of condensed milk are roughly 1/2 a litre.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I find Baileys too sweet as a drink - but it is rather good poured over ice-cream.
    The spiced rum idea sounds nice!....Stepdad used to make an absolutely lethal rum punch every year for Christmas. He would use overproof Jamaican white rum and it was gooooood!

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

<u>Re Spiced Rum</u>
    Courtesy of my friends who live on a rum-producing island, I have a variety of recipes for spiced rum that I am willing to share.
    As I don't drink Spirits, I haven't tried them out, but they sound good.