1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drinking water in lessons

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gruoch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

It's pretty much what I said, tbh. More bad science. Apparently if we are not 'hydrated' our brains don't work so our school will fall down the league tables. I think there may be something on our staff room wall about it. Not league tables, having to drink an ocean of water a day.
    We do need a set quantity of liquid each day, but it doesn't have to come out of a plastic bottle with a designer label. Guess what - our food contains water, and that counts as liquid. What doesn't count is bottles of revoltingly coloured fizzy liquid.
    I don't allow water in lessons. No-one's brain is going to give in in the max. 2 hours between breaks.

2. DM

DM New commenter

One of the drivers of water bottle proliferation was a bedwetters campaign group (I promise I'm not making this up!).
    www.wateriscoolinschool.org.uk

3. Good points about allowing pupils to drink water in lessons.

Bad points about allowing it
    1. The students look more like babies with dummies in their mouths
    2. They want to go out to the toilet every 5 minutes

4. Teach science and you have the perfect excuse not to let them....... "no eating or drinking in the science labs" [​IMG]

5. Drives me barmy this water drinking business! Luckily for me, no drinks in science labs!