1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drinking Water - I never feel thirsty

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Eva_Smith, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I recently downloaded an app for my phone which is supposed to remind me to drink water. I record when I have water and then if it senses I've gone 'too long' without a drink it reminds me with quite a cool 'flushing water' sound.
    The problem is that I just can't drink the amount of water it says I should. I pour myself a glass and it takes me at least an hour of constantly sipping to get it down me. I hardly ever feel thirsty - I know you're not supposed to as thirst is a sign you are already dehyrated - but I just don't feel like drinking anything unless I'm thirsty.
    I've always been like this; I just have never drank very much during the day. I enjoy cups of tea during the work day if I can manage to find the time, but it's not unusual for me to to go all day ithout drinking something. I'd say I average 2 - 3 cups of tea at work (one before the day starts, one at break if possible and sometimes one at lunchtime OR after school whilst marking at my desk). Once home, I seldom have a drink, if I do it's a glass of juice with dinner, but I hardly ever drink the whole thing.
    So, my question...is it possible that my body just doesn't want this much fluid? I started back in January trying to drink the required two litres. I brought a large bottle to work every day but very seldom managed to drink more than half of it. Even then, I'd feel totally full and bloated from drinking the water.
    What do you reckon? Does anyone else find drinking water a problem.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Check the colour of your wee and if it is yellower than very pale straw colour then you aren't drinking enough.

3. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I wouldn't worry about trying to force down lots of fluids unnecessarily. There is no evidence that drinking eight glasses/ two litres of water every day is necessary or has any demonstrable health benefits. This has been in the news a fair bit recently and there's more info here if you're interested.

4. Eva_Smith

An interesting link, thank you!
    It's difficult to know who to believe about these things: one 'expert' will tell you one thing and another will say the opposite.
    I think that, until now, I seem to have managed to get by without forcing myself to drink the Holy Grail of 2 litres per day (apparently), so I must be doing what my body needs. My mum is convinced I will chave kidney problems when I'm "older" but she's been saying this for 20 years and I've so far not experienced any problems.
    I do sometimes wonder if some headaches that I get are related to dehydration, but I also find that a good sleep and a few weeks off work do wonders for headaches, so I'm more inclined to believe it's down to stress!

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

don't forget the liquid intake includes things like the cups of tea, milk on your breakfast. But not your beer/wine (shame!)

Some people don't drink a lot, my OH is an example of this. Were as I need to drink about 3-4ltrs a day of liquid otherwise I get a really bad headaches.

6. I am another of these strange people who doesn't keep drinking water. I do try to sit down with a pint of water every now and then but I am drinking it because I feel I ought to...not because I really want to. I tell myself that it will flush out the system. I don't really like it or need it although I always have a glass of fizzy water with alcohol these days.
    I drink tea by the gallon but think I have the mechanism of a camel. I store fluid or must have a HUGE bladder. The man is ALWAYS nipping to the loo when we are out....I have been known to go only three times a day in total...although now I tend to use the loos whether I need to or not...a bit like a child being told to go because a loo happens to be there...convenient. (No pun intended.)
    I see water as a kind of medicine Eva...I tell myself I have to have some and my body will thank me...but I suspect I have been conned by the health police. There is quite a lot in the news about people drinking too much and becoming ill because they are flushing out the much-needed bodily salts etc.

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Don't forget, you also get fluid from the food you eat.I would take the clour f your wee as a good indicator of whether you're dehydrated or not.
    I'm having to drink 1.5-2 litres of fluid a day at the moment (excluding tea/coffee) because of the medication I'm on. I am finding it very difficult and only really manage 1.5 litres most days. Sometimes my kidney function becomes impaired then I feel guilty and drink more...Anyway, I found it easier to drink bottled water - I know I have to get through 3 500cl bottles, but couldn't face looking at one big bottle.
    I also hate the bloated feeling it gives me and I'm convinced it's preventing me from putting on weight (which I desperately need to do).

8. Eva_Smith

Sadly, it doesn't appear to have this effect on me lol.
    I've actually done quite well to drink 4 glasses so far today, but this is only because I've been out for a run this morning so am needed more to drink. Either way the water App on my phone seems to be pleased with me ha ha!

9. joli2

joli2 New commenter

There's a good article on this in the Guardian today - unfortunately I can't find it online. The bottom line was - drink when you're thirsty.

10. I have always found it difficult to drink water ( or any liquids for that matter) - I remember it being the source of much conflict between me and my mother when I was young - but in recent years I have made more of an effort and it has made such a difference to the way I feel. So much so that I notice the effects if I am not taking in as much as I should: I feel lethargic, my head feels muzzy and my legs feel leaden and my skin feels much drier. The tip about the colour of your wee is excellent, other than first thing in the morning it should never be darker than pale straw colour.
    Apart from anything else, it makes me feel less hungry and that is a big plus!