1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drinking alcohol on trips

Discussion in 'School trips' started by Smirk, May 15, 2009.

1. In French and German schools the beer and wine flows freely on parents' evening.
    In some Swiss schools there are beer machines in the staffroom.
    In most European countries over 16s can drink wine and beer and Frenchies drink wine at any age in my experience.
    However, in Britain the slightest accident-alcohol or not on the part of a teacher- is a huge risk and big reason why many teachers will not organise school trips.
    Yes, drinking on school trips for the majority of pupils is merely a question of school rules and not the law but in the current climate of sue anything that moves and so I think any member of staff drinking on a trip is a risk and any student caught drinking on a trip should be sent home ASAP whatever age they are parental permission or not.

2. typo

...whether they have parental permission or not.

4. LittleStreams

LittleStreams New commenter

Personally I think it is wrong to drink when you are in a position of looking after youth, what ever their age. If you have volunteered to go on a school trip, you have taken on the responsibilities that come with it. You wouldn't drink in school, would you? Well surely goin on a school trip is a school activity and so school rules apply.
    I understand what you are saying, abut one glass of wine, but the fact is even one glass of wine could impair the judgment of some.
    I just don't agree with drinking when looking after someone elses children.

5. Every trip should have a risk assessment etc. One would expect that in residential trips there would be a stipulation on how many staff are on duty 24/7 etc. If staff are on duty 24/7 then they might well be in breach of the minimum wage, let alone other employment laws.
    Staff driving minibuses need appropriate breaks etc and need to ensure that they are fit to drive. Relying on only one member of staff to be sober is risky, 'what ifs' spring to mind - if there is an accident and the only fully sober member of staff goes with the pupil to hospital, who looks after the rest?
    No one would expect staff to be downing a lot of alcohol but I can see why a third party organisation might wish to play safe.
    Baden Powell groups and cadet forces each have their own guidelines - many cadet forces have mess nights on camp for the instructors - they certainly aren't dry events BUT there are always duty staff (fully sober) who are overseeing the cadets etc.
    I am not aware that any cadet (over 18 or not) is allowed to drink on camp, cadet facilities are dry anyway.

6. If my school told me that I could not drink at all on a residential trip, that would be fine, someone else could go!

7. adrenalinerecon

adrenalinerecon New commenter

I think that if you are taking part in a school trip from Australia to Germany, for example, you should be able to drink beer, especially in October. But you must be the appropriate age from the country you left (18 in Australia) as you should be mature enough. You are also there to have fun. :) But not to get drunk.

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

Wow - this thread comes back to life!

As an outsider (I actually work now as a tour operator), whether teachers and students drink alcohol is not down to me.

I have just returned from a trip where the teachers had a glass of wine alongside a sit-down meal and maybe a beer or another wine at the end of the day in the hotel bar.

They permitted their "of-age" students to have one beer in the hotel bar at the end of the day.

I do not see a problem with that, but fully understand if (when) other schools do it differently.

9. AvaPerez

AvaPerez New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  10. viptravelwroclaw

viptravelwroclaw New commenter

There's a fascinating difference in culture right there! It would be unthinkable for a Polish teacher to touch a drop of alcohol (though some do...) on a school trip.

11. JW1974

JW1974 New commenter

A bottle of wine on the staff table on a KS3/ 4 trip to France, Spain, etc... Modelling positive attitudes towards alcohol, when a lot of the students will only ever see their parents getting smashed on cheap cider from Lidl (an exageration, to a certain degree)...? I would suggest that in a residential and cultural context it is almost your duty to have a little glass of wine with your meal!! :)

12. DIrectorStudies

DIrectorStudies New commenter

My experience of residential trips is that one person doesn't drink at all, and the others have one or two glasses of wine. Sounds reasonable.

At my current school, there is absolutely no alcohol allowed to be consumed onsite, even on the last day after students have gone. We do get gifts of wine from the trustees and families, though.

At the schools my children have gone to, alcohol flowed at socials, provided by the schools.

13. delc1_11

delc1_11 New commenter

Well, on a trip a couple of years ago to France, we were surprised to find shirtless male teachers from another school, sipping pints on deckchairs at a water park while students kept coming up to them asking questions. Surely that's a story they'd take home to parents who would be horrified? I really don't think it's unreasonable to go without alcohol for 4 or 5 days.