1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Drink driving

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JennyMus, Aug 28, 2011.

1. I have a friend who is always driving her car when she has had too much to drink, worse still she does it when she has her children in the car with her. I have repeatedly expressed my distaste, made comments to try and disuade her and on occasion have taken her keys off her.

Yesterday afternoon there were several families that went to a fundraising event at a family pub. I cycled in the 3 miles with my child as I was planning on having a few drinks and I witnessed her sinking 5 large glasses of wine. I left before her but I know she drove home, with her son in the car. What can I do? She's an amazing friend on every other level but this behaviour utterly disgusts me. I've even contemplated reporting her.

2. You've only contemplated reporting her? I would have done it the first time!
    She also wouldn't be a friend of mine any more.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was going to post to make the same two points but PFP said it all already.

4. The great majority of people who driive over the prescribed limit don't kill anybody. There is no need to exagerate.

5. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

You most certainly can be jailed on your first DUI offence as it happened to my ex-husband because his level was so high.

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Which example? How do you know the level of alcohol in any case?
    Hypthotically speaking you mean?
    Your clearly (and insultingly) stated that a first time drunk driver would not receive a custodial sentence. This is demonstrably not the case. You are mistaken but are too arrogant to admit this.
    Another stupid assumption.

7. You're right, it's perfectly ok. Let her get on with it.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

do you really think that is what maj said?

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Exactly my point; it's no involvement at all. We observe, but we don't get involved.

11. No, of course not, I'm not an idiot.
    I didn't appreciate the patronising tone. I'm sure that, with half a second's thought, MAJ would realise that I'm not stating that everyone who drinks and drives will automatically kill someone. It goes both ways doesn't it? I'd have thought that it was obvious to most people that I was suggesting that with every occasion that she drives while drunk, the likelihood that her impaired reactions will cause a problem increase. I didn't think it was necessary to state it in such full terms, in order to make my point to the OP.

12. You seemed to be suggesting this woman will and she should be shopped to the police. Apologies if you were not
    Probably but I consider it an over-rated crime. Most accidents are caused by sober people with no excuse.e.g. what is more dangerous a driver who has had 2 pints of beer or someome who is very tired when they drive? I'd rather be driven by the drinker.

13. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

My ex-husband was jailed for first offence and their were no aggravating factors- just a high reading. It does happen.

14. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

That was NOT the case to which your rude response in Post 94 referred

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This has to be the best quote on this thread!

16. Maybe, but there is an element of truth in it in my experience of crime.

17. I'm not really interested in the side argument. I don't see any point in engaging in disucssion about something when no one has any intention of changing their view.
    I <u>was</u> suggesting that the OP reports the fact that her friend is about to (possibly) commit a criminal offense - an offense that she may already have commited a number of times before. I say 'possibly' because she may not actually be over the prescribed limit. Anyone elses's views about the validity or importance of the offense is irrelevant to my post. As I said, I'm not getting into that discussion.

18. Neither are acceptable. Drink driving is dangerous, Driving whilst tired is dangerous. A friend was recently very badly injured when her boyfriend fell asleep when driving and went into the opposite carriageway. Your judgement is impaired as are your reactions.
    Overtaking when there is not enough space just to gain a few seconds. Dangerous. Doing 60 in a 30 zone. Forgetting to use your mirrors. Not slowing down in time for a junction or roundabout. Getting distracted your mobile phone. Talking round to talk to your children.
    All dangerous things that happen in a car. No one should drive after excess alchohol. Nor when they are tired. It is not an over rated crime. Cars are lethal weapons and should be treated as such.

19. True, but life itself is fraught with danger and we should not become hysterical over one aspect of manufactured transgression, when leaving the chip pan on is just as lethal. Moderation in all things, and real solutions, not beligerent hyperbole please.

20. A shotgun or AK47? I would tend to agree.What about a nail-gun? Can we drop the hyperbole?