1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dried vs tinned beans etc

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Jan 14, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a recipe that I want to try out.
    It calls for 250g dried butter beans, soaked and then boiled: what weight of canned beans would I need to use to replace the dried ones?
    and.... another recipe asks for 200g of chickpeas, soaked and boiled: again, how many tinned ones?
    Is there a basic formula? I've Googled but cannot find one.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a recipe that I want to try out.
    It calls for 250g dried butter beans, soaked and then boiled: what weight of canned beans would I need to use to replace the dried ones?
    and.... another recipe asks for 200g of chickpeas, soaked and boiled: again, how many tinned ones?
    Is there a basic formula? I've Googled but cannot find one.

3. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Not especially helpful, but if I'm replacing dried beans with tinned ones I tend to assume they can be added at the end of cooking and just left for long enough to heat, so I wait until whatever I'm making is nearly ready and then just put in one tin and see if it looks like the right amount, and if not then add another one. I'm a bit of a make-it-up-as-you-go-along type of cook though! I'd say one 400g tin would probably be enough for both of those recipes, I think dried beans roughly double in weight when they're cooked.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

And, if you do use dried beans for an evening meal, ignore the overight soaking advice and put them to soak before you go to work in the morning.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I usually go for a 1:4 ratio.
    A couple of tins of each should do it. Buy a third one of each in case you feel the dishes need it!
    If you've any half used tins, you can always blitz up a hummus!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

thanks
    my worry is that I may well overdo the spicing if there aren't enough pulses

7. I tend to double and "add a bit" - remember that your weight on a tin is net weight with liquid, so I tend to add a bit extra as I drain.
    Although it does depend on the size of the whatever I am using - lentils I would use more than double quantity, as they increase in size more.
    Does any of this make sense? I have just tried to envisage myself writing a cookery book "now, take a bit of this - oh but if you are using this, take this much, enough to fit in your hands if they are the same size as mine but if we are talking chickpeas, up to the top of my purple beaker with the Disney princess on and when they reach the top of the tiara..." [​IMG]