1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dressing up in reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by annina, Jan 5, 2011.

1. What do your children do once they have put on dressing up clothes? Children like to dress up but are not sure what to do when they have. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. What do your children do once they have put on dressing up clothes? Children like to dress up but are not sure what to do when they have. Any ideas would be appreciated.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you sure? How can you know what they should do?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Ours get dressed up then play mums and dads or similar favourite games unless an adult is leading the play.

6. Ours often play policemen once dressed in the police outfit,often arresting people! They dressed as Santa at Christmas and delivered presents. Often though they just dress up and then do other activities while they are dressed up. Girls like to dress up in the Princess dresses and sometimes the boys too and just look at themselves.

7. The children know what they are eg Cinderella, policeman. Some go and join in lego, drawing etc wearing clothes. Others just end up trying to dash around in a very small space in the class which is unsafe. I am new to reception and wondered if I should be providing resources for them to continue this play in the small space available.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I divide my dressing up clothes. Some,eg postal worker, nurse, doctor, police office, I only put out if I have set up a relevant role-play area. When the children dress up in these clothes their play automatically relates to that particular role-play area.
    But I also have a selection of other costumes eg princess dresses and superhero cloaks that are available all year round. The children generally devise their own roles and story lines when wearing these clothes eg mummies and daddies, aliens, secret agents. Sometimes they start to get a bit over-excited and begin to run around the room, chasing each other. But I just remind them about our no running and no shouting inside rules. If they need more than 1 or 2 reminders, then they have to put the dressing up clothes away and find something else to do for the rest of the session.

If a particular kind of role-play is very popular with a number of children, then I'll try and provide enhancements (eg relevant items for the writing area), or suggest artefacts that children could try making themselves in the creative area to enhance their own play.

9. Thanks