1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dressing up days- don't you just hate them?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Now, accuse me of being a miserable old bag if you want, but I detest those days in school when children and staff are encouraged to dress up for a good cause. Tomorrow is 'pyjama day' at our school, becuase some snotty nosed brat in the school council decided it would be a good way to raise money for our Lent charities. I have decided that even though my class will think I'm a spoilsport, I am not going to wear my jimjams to school. Does everyone else embrace these days with joy? Am I alone in dreading them?

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

No lardy I'm right behind you.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Inappropriate to wear nightclothes to work. Stupid idea.
    Some of these events can be fun - dyed my hair red once for Red Nose Day, but wouldn't do it nowadays. It's not professional, nor dignified. When it was that one where you where supposed to wear pants over your clothes, I made little cardboard frilly knicker earrings - anything else would have been too much.
    A previous Head wanted us to come in wearing costume. She asked me to wear one of my Shalwar Kameez, which annoyed the hell out of me because I don't consider it to be 'fancy dress'!!!! On the day, she was the only one who dressed up and had to go round all day dressed like Heidi complete with wired plaits. She cried.

4. I'm going to disagree...
    I love them... in my opinion there aren't enough days in a school calendar when I can dress up... this Friday will be my third costume day since December. I was a Christmas Tree for the Sixth Form Quiz on the last Creative Learning Day. A fortnight ago I was Professor McGonagall for World Book Day and this week I'll be Princess Fiona from Shrek complete with green face and hands... (bit of a green theme I noticed, but not deliberate). Then on the last day before Easter I have to think of someone/thing else... My Sixth Form Leadership Team is keen to get all the Sixth Form tutors dressed up (there was the Geeks and Freaks day - but I had forgotten about that one and was a bit lame with only a funny hat and Aussie Flag cape...)
    Each to your own though... [​IMG]

5. That makes 3 of us.
    Several colleagues relish such days and go to great lengths and expense in order to come up with the perfect pyjama/pirate/princess etc outfit.

6. i always do the awkward thing
    when we had 'heros and superheros' i was mrs pankhurst - me and the woman who was ghandi were the political wing....
    friday we're doing 'mad scientists' for red nose day - i'm goping to be rosalind franklin
    mad? i'm furious about how i was written out of dna history!!

7. I kind of love the dress up days too. I did turn up to an event earlier this year to have an autistic child tell me "you look really stupid." Just as well I've got a thick skin!
    I do remember having to go an buy some pyjamas from Primark that covered me up enough to wear to school a few years ago though. Didn't think the flimsy ones (or nothing) that I normally wear would have been appropriate.
    Funniest time was when a group of 5 teachers in fancy dress nipped to the shops at lunchtime - raised a few eyebrows.

8. I hate them too. Had to dress up on World Book Day, spent my whole PPA making a red riding hood cloak. What a waste of time! Wish someone would just give me something to wear. Got to wear red on Friday, might bring out the cloak again! [​IMG]

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Well done :)

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As a Union rep I felt duty bound to wear a Che Guevara teeshirt on out of uniform days, but now I can't be ***** with them. I just turn up in my suit as normal and tell the kids it's my scruffy gardening suit.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'd be more annoyed with the concept of a "Lent charity".

12. I sort of have a love hate relationship with them. There was the time I broke down dressed as the Worst Witch for WBD. Had to decide was it weirder that I was clearly dressed up as a witch or some slapper dressed as a school girl. When the AA man arrived I got out of the car and pulled on the witch's hat. Never drove home in a costume again.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I dressed as Baboushka for Book day with a headscarf and a basket of toys. One of my class (Reception) asked "Why haven't you dressed up?"

14. I detest them, Friday is pyjama day, and I, for one will not be wearing them, firstly, I don't own any and refuse to buy some, secondly, at 52, I feel stupid going to work in pyjamas,but I will be donating money on the day..call me boring if you like..

15. where do these pyjama days come from?
    any dress-up day should have a point to it - pyjama days sound like 'we can't think of anything that is relevant so....'

16. andromache

andromache New commenter

i'm not really a fan of dressing-up days, but i do usually join in so people don't think i'm a miserable old bat.
    last year (world book day) i was ariadne, but got told off by our h&s fuhrer for trailing string everywhere which someone might have tripped over if they were determinedly stupid and feckless enough. grrr.

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

As a Catholic school, one of the things we do in Lent is almsgiving, so we tend to make this our focus for fund raising. Are you also annoyed with Comic Relief? The money we raise goes to a local children's hospice.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

On non uniform day, the staff decided to wear school uniform. On the way to school my car developed a fault. I was going on holiday the day after ( half term) so I rang the garage to be told if I could get it to him by 4 he'd try to fix it.
    I had to go to the garage in full uniform, hair in bunches etc.

Car fixed for nothing and I was asked out on a date, result!

19. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Miserable old bag [​IMG] However, wouldn't be a fan of nightwear day. You should go in in a tight pink catsuit and say you sleep naked.

20. redfacedcomicdancingforpoorafricanspyjamadayreliefthingyallhorrible.