1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Now browsing that website - they have some gorgeous dresses. A bit cheaper than the gravitational waves one as well.

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I love the material, I could make a dress like that....

Damn, I will have to hunt the fabric down, and get cracking with a sewing machine.. It will take me ages.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. MrMatthewBracewell

MrMatthewBracewell New commenter

the problem with that idea is that in less affluent areas the uniform is the great equalizer, ensuring that bullying about cheap clothes trainers etc doesn't take place. The expectation for many is that they will enter a work environment with some form of uniform policy so the school uniform is a chance for students to develop good habits for caring for their clothes.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

You do know that we no longer have conscription, don't you Mr Bracewell?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

I always go to work fully dressed...that's a start, isn't it?;)

sabrinakat, drek and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

1. The uniform has no impact on bullying. It merely shifts attention to what shoes they are wearing, what bag they have and the logo on their coat/jacket/hat.
    2. The expectation for many is they will enter a work environment with no uniform but an expectation of wearing appropriate clothing (like teachers for example).
    3. "Students developing good habits for caring for their clothes"... Have you met any teenagers? :D:D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

I don't think a tie should be compulsory.

I'm not sure how many kids appreciate thongs on show when staff kneel/lean forward - I know I don't!

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Then don't look !

9. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

Does no one else feel that the parents take you more seriously if you dress in "business attire"?

peter12171 likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No.

minnie me and catmother like this.
  11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

....and students, who can be very conservative and certainly disdain over casual, trendy, too youthful dress, but respect a more 'middle of the road' look.

sparklepig2002 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Collar and tie for men.
    Short skirts and high heels for ladies.
    Smart, not tart.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Depends on the school (& parents?), but generally 'yes'.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes - I have seen this happen.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In my experience... yes.

16. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Yes.

17. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I'll add another 'yes' to this. It was also pointed out to us on our training a few years ago on several occasions that 'you are professionals, you should dress professionally'.

18. blowswind

Interesting. What would that 'professional' dress look like?

A nurses outfit? Sports kit? Painter and Decorator? A Writer? Health & Safety Inspector?

Hold on kids while I change into my professional outfit for the next lesson...

Or is it that your training taught you that you are expected to look like a Car Salesman in order to convey a "professional" image?

19. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

Obviously it would depend on the profession, but I would say that the philosophy behind that statement was that a teacher needs to command respect in the classroom - or, to put it a different way, to have a 'presence'. Some people will be able to do that however they are dressed; I would suggest that most teachers have struggled with the 'presence' idea, especially at the start of their careers. Anything that assists that, including the way they dress, should be used.

I guess it also brings up the question 'what is a professional?'. Traditionally professional careers have been seen as those that need further training, such as doctors, lawyers and teachers. Many people would expect people in such trades to dress in a particular way, which would probably be termed 'business dress'.

20. blowswind

If you feel a suit will give you the presence and respect required to be an effective teacher you're better suited to a different career (perhaps on Savile Row).

The notion that the clothes you wear and the car you drive etc. etc. convey your worth is in my opinion an old fashioned value that ought to be challenged not encouraged. I prefer a more genuine basis for respect.

bertiehamster likes this.