1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dress codes for teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by loodle1, May 28, 2016.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't tempt me sss. ;) I do still wear trousers these days and I love red.

2. Lara mfl 05

Yes and gives you movement around the knees so you don't have to hobble. [​IMG]

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Well thank you, for all who posted. I ordered a couple of outfits! Oh joy!

:):D

ultimatedingbat likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Oh do let us know which.
    May they bring you luck.

5. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

On a similar note, I was wondering about how 'acceptable' my make-up would be; generally subtle, but I do like a fairly thick line of black liquid/gel eyeliner (not winged) - I'm starting my SCITT this September.

Side note - it is a Catholic school. I haven't been given specific dress-code guidance yet, but from my time spent there it's fairly, although not excessively, conservative (men in ties but not jackets, women in low heels, generally in a jacket).

PS - Good luck in the interviews, slingshotsally!

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Go for it @becca3471

But maybe start slowly? A defined line but not as thick as usual. Then build it up day by day.

becca3471 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Very sensible advice from gdw (as usual). Then you can see how the school reacts before you incur a 'word in your ear' from management.;)

becca3471 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

I'm getting mellow in my old age. I was going to tell you to do as you damned well felt like but then had a flash of inspiration. ;)

drek, becca3471 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

10. grumpydogwoman

11. grumpydogwoman

The maths teacher can even dress her baby appropriately!
    upload_2016-6-8_16-50-18.png

drek, Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given the temperature & the humidity here today, I am just trying to imagine what it must be like teaching in a classroom with 30+ sweating teenagers (who may not be allowed to remove their blazers), windows which barely open (H&S!) and the sun streaming in whilst wearing a suit, tie, shirt (buttoned up) and socks & shoes - or even tights, shoes, skirt, blouse & jacket.

What is 'professional ' about that?

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

In my school the rooms on the top floor reached almost 40 degrees last summer. Fans going, windows open, cold water available...and the male teachers were still expected to wear ties. I felt very sorry for them as the female teachers were in (appropriate) summer dresses, no tights, no jackets. Mind you, I felt sorry for the kids in their blazers and ties too. A few of them fell asleep in my lesson straight after their top floor lessons simply because they were so warm (and also, I am boring).

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

What teachers - and their pupils - wear does not improve their teaching - or pupils' learning. However, it can certainly impede both.

15. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

I would be up in arms if the teachers didn't allow my kids to take their blazers off in this heat.

Where I am now the kids don't wear blazers, but when I taught in mainstream a few years ago I would never have dreamt of not allowing a student to remove a blazer or unbutton the top button. Im actually quite fussy about kids not overheating and getting dehydrated!

I even allowed shirts out (gasp!). It never had any adverse effects on behaviour or learning and nobody in SLT objected. My SLT were good I have to say, but I can't get my head round the fact that some don't allow kids to remove blazers! That's got to go against health and safety regulations, surely?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. kerensaann

kerensaann New commenter

I
    am not good enough to put in photos but I found the last time I interviewed, my more creative look wasn't as suitable as it used to be as schools want more corporate. So I went for the LBD in a stretch jersey which came mid-calf and a red suit jacket with a necklace and mary-janes with stockings (I don't buy heels as I would only wear them for interviews) Do colour your hair and wear appropriate make-up. I also updated my glasses, but only because I needed to anyway.
    I shop at M&S (Less as their website and sales are pretty bad now) and ASOS and buy pieces that I can use a lot rather than interview outfits.

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  17. slingshotsally

Completely agree.

Placing pretentious before practicality is such a a PITA

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. slingshotsally

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

20. SteveKindle

SteveKindle Occasional commenter

RE teachers...